How to set up sync tracks or sync tones

buddyC

I am extremely amateurish at this computer thing. I don't even have a proper setup yet. All I have is my Ensoniq EPS 16+, a pII 600 with 160mg, and demo versions of ntracks and Cakewalk to get a feel for things. I simply want to experiment for the time being until I get the Omnistudio and the real versions of the software. I have tried to record several tracks into either program and have done so. I do this by soloing one track at a time from a sequence on my keyboard, setting up a four click countoff before recording starts, and then trying to time hitting the play button on the keyboard with the recording start of the program. I do this for each track from my sequence. With this method it is almost impossible to get the tracks to line up exact. Can someone take me through the steps of setting up a sync tone or sync track and tell me how to use it to line things up? If I simply use midi cables from my board to the midi/joystick port can I slave things and that will take care of my problem? It makes me wonder because I read about people using these sync tracks and I assume they already are using midi so why would they need sync tracks if midi would take care of it? I have not read a post yet where I felt I understood how to setup and use sync tracks or tones, but then again, I am a half-wit. Help!!!!!!

Synch tracks are required if one of the devices you need to synch is a tape recorder. A converter turns the MIDI Clock info into an analog tone that can be recorded on a tape track, and later read back and converted back to MIDI data to trigger the sequence from the tape playback. There are several forms, most common are SMPTE and FSK.

With MIDI-capable devices on each end, you don't need a synch tone or a synch track. You need to set up the devices to synch to each other. The exact steps depend on what sequencer and what other devices you have and their capabilities. Typically the sequencer is the master, it is set to send MIDI clock info, and the external device is set to use an external clock, the MIDI clock data coming to it from the sequencer. Your manuals should telll you what you need to know specifically.

Back