How to set up M-Audio PCI 2496 to play default Windows and Media 9.0 sounds?

Toddskins

The M-Audio owner's manual (outdated, by the way), says that the 2496 card is so flexibile that it can be configured to play GM sounds as well as the Windows OS sounds.

Presently, my Audigy card plays windows and Media 9.0 sounds, while my 2496 is configured for SONAR.

Anybody know how to set that up so that the 2496 does everything? The manual does not say.

Thanks,

Todd

In the windows settings.
I think it depends a bit on the Windows version but in XP go to the control panel and then so Sounds and Audio Devices.
In the audio settings you can then select the AP as your default soundcard.

GM is general midi, right? The Audiophile won't play those. It doesn't have an internal midi synth.

Hi Todd,
I'm a newbie to this and this is my first post.
From what i can gather,you have an Audigy AND an Audiophile installed,correct?

I really hope so,because i'm looking at putting these 2 cards in my machine.

So could you tell me,do they behave together ok,no conflicts or anything?

Thanks for helping

There's a lot of this about ;)

If you pick the Audiophile for Windows sounds (in Control Panel/Sounds) , don't use the driver channel named "multi". You can get driver error messages with audio programs such as Cakewalk if you do that. Pick channel 1/2 for the analog out. Works for me.
The GM midi playback is only possible because of Windows built in Software synth. With an Audigy as well, it's perfectly ok to carry on using it's Soundfont synths as well as the midi port while the Audiophile handles the Audio.
Again with Cakewalk (Sonar, HS etc), if its using WDM/KS driver mode, the Microsoft GM synth isn't available (it's a bit weak and latency is high anyway), so it may be worth your while to keep a card with a real hardware midi synth such as the Audigy - unless you intend to step into the world of plugin soft synths which is ultimately more powerful.

side by side

Dbadds,

Both cards are side by side, and no conflicts at all. Up 'till now, I kept having to swap the audio OUT wire out of one into the other, depending upon what app I wished to run (i.e. SONAR or Musical CD player such as Media player).

But we can run everything through the 2496 which is what started this thread.

Thanks, Jim Y, for the clarification. Your post was much helpful in explaining some finer points.

Todd

Back