How to Improve Recordings? (clips included!)

SKYflyer

EDIT: would this be a good soundcard for my rock band to buy? http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--THKMIMD662 (not looking for any uber proffesional stuff... will it solve my problems described below?)

Well, first let me describe my setup: Casio Privia 400 Digital Piano , 1.8 ghz, 384 RAM, onboard soundcard, using Cakewalk Sonar 3.

Here is a recording I made:
. This is the plain piano recording, except I added a bit of compression to get rid of some minor clipping in some places, and i added reverb and some EQ adjustments.

I made this recording by taking the 1/4 inch headphone out of my keyboard directly to my soundcard line in, and used a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter here. This method of recording sounded better than using the keyboard line out to the line in of the soundcard, and it also sounded better by hooking up my keyboard to a mixer, and then the mixer to the soundcard line in. This confused me, because I thought that the line out of the keyboard should produce a better sound, but instead found that the headphone outs produced a better sound... is this logical?

Anyway, as you probably noticed, the sound clip isnt as great as it could be. There is a lot of noise at the beginning, you can notice it especially in the beginnning when i am not playing, but it continues throughout the whole song. How to I get rid of this noise? Is a better soundcard the solution?

Also, the recording is not loud. This is as loud as I could make it without tons of clipping. I was reading that the audio bits might have something to do with this. My soundcard only supports 16 bit audio, but i was reading that with higher bit supporting soundcards (like 24 bit audio) would be able to record at higher volumes without clipping. So is a better soundcard also the way to go to make my recordings louder without clipping?

Basically, I am wondering if i need a better soundcard to fix these problems, or if some other tweaking with my current setup will in any way improve my sound.

PS: i was also reading about direct boxes. I understand that they are used when plugging an instrument directly into the soundcard as I am. Would a direct box or a soundcard be a better buy for me? Or should i get both? Thanks!

PPS: that recording was my composition! Despite my few messups and rushing to finish it at the end (sped up too much in tempo), how do you like it? :)

Last edited:
I think the reason you may not be satisfied with your sound is because everthing in recording chain sucks.... You're instrument is a casio, though it sounds better than some of the casio's I've heard, you going into an stock sound card, and you're computer is severly underpowered by today's standards. Pretty much everything is working against you making any quality stuff at this point. If you're serious about recording yourself then upgrade the pc, get a quality soundcard, and a better keyboard and you'll instantly hear the difference.

jonnyc said:
I think the reason you may not be satisfied with your sound is because everthing in recording chain sucks.... You're instrument is a casio, though it sounds better than some of the casio's I've heard, you going into an stock sound card, and you're computer is severly underpowered by today's standards. Pretty much everything is working against you making any quality stuff at this point. If you're serious about recording yourself then upgrade the pc, get a quality soundcard, and a better keyboard and you'll instantly hear the difference.
In response to this...
I'd say that my casio sounds pretty good in my opinion. I tested it out, comparing it to yamahas and other similar models in this price range (~700-900 [the casio was 650]) and it sounded good in comparison. The casio sounds better than the recording in person, so i know it must have the capability to produce good sounds, the only problem is that my recording cant seem to recreate those sounds :( . Also, the major problems of the recording i mentioned above were the high noise level and the quietness of the recording. I was not concerned with anything like a bad instrument sound. The sound of the instrument is fine, and i would not think that purchasing a higher end keyboard would decrease noise or allow me to record at higher volumes without clipping.

Also, my computer may not be great, but i think it's sufficient to record stuff. What would a better computer let me do? All i can think is that i could do everythign I am doing now, except faster. My current computer can handle 96 khz recording and 24-bit sound (if it had the soundcard), the only thing a faster computer would do is allow me to work faster. Your comment about my computer not being able to handle recording would only seem relevant if my computer were not able to handle recording at 96 khz or 24 bit audio because the processor was not fast enough or something (soundcards aside). Correct me if i am wrong.

The only thing i agree with you about is the suckiness of my soundcard. But this whole thread is to help me get input as to whether a new soundcard would improve the lacking quality of my recording (the specificness of the recording's lacking is described above :) ). Thanks again, guys.

Skyflyer,

hi, yes the piano itself sounds great and your computer is plenty good enough for suitable recording.

and YES, you will need a new soundcard. If you want to get rid of that noise, you'll need a new soundcard. That's the sound of what I call 'bitter' (computer noise, mouse movement etc..) and a new pro audio soundcard will fix that. I had that same problem early on as well and I know how frustrating it can be. Go for a PCI or Firewire card if you can.

Adam

jonnyc said:
and you're computer is severly underpowered by today's standards.

I dont think you should be dissing this guys setup...

All that aside...you need atleast double the memory you have now
I do ALL my recordings on a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ that runs at 1.7 ghtz with 768mb's of ram...i get great results that im happy with!

Last edited:
Back