Help - recording acoustic guitar - panels

conamor

Hi,
Sorry, might have heard that question thousand times... I am new to all this.

I was wondering why when I record my acoustic guitar using at2035 and focusrite 2i2 with garage band, I hear my recording on the right side only.
I manage to copy the track, set one to mono 1 and the other to mono 2 and then switch mono 1 to completely right and the other one to the left... Is this the proper way to do it?

On my focusrite, my input one for microphone has Line/Inst, should I use inst for acoustic guitar (not plugged)? How about the voice? Does it go in Line or Inst again?

In a room of 10x10 ft, should I use any acoustic panels? I was thinking of buying auralex roominator d36 or this isn't necessary?

Thanks for all the help!

If you're hearing one side only, it sounds like you need to change the setting in GB to mono, selecting either 1 or 2, depending on which the guitar is plugged into. (Open the track info window (Command I if you aren't seeing it on the right of your track) and you'll be able to change it. If you don't see your interface option listed under "Input Source", then you'll need to go into preferences and make sure GB sees it. (Prefs > Audio/MIDI. Change your Audio Input if necessary)

Your voice mic should be switched to Line, and your guitar should be Inst. Wait...I re-read your post. Are you saying your guitar is not plugged in? Are you using one mic to record voice and guitar at the same time?

Buying panels...well, I'll let someone who uses panels answer that.

I'll try to do the change in GB, I will be recording separate track for vocal and guitar. I don't think I can record both at the same time, with 2 mics, 1 will pickup the other sound...

I'll try to do the change in GB, I will be recording separate track for vocal and guitar. I don't think I can record both at the same time, with 2 mics, 1 will pickup the other sound...

You can record both at the same time and yes, you'll get bleed. Not always a problem. Personal choice, really.

I record guitar solo and then vox solo. For each mic, create a mono track in GB, even if you're using two mics to record the guitar. Don't combine the two mics as a stereo track. They'll sound different and you'll want to manipulate them differently.

If I leave both, vocal and acoustic guitar in mono, this means that the sound will come out on only right or left?

If I leave both, vocal and acoustic guitar in mono, this means that the sound will come out on only right or left?

No, that's what happens when you leave them in stereo. In mono, they will come out both speakers. Both guitar and voice right down the middle.

With stereo, the track will record TWO sound sources, one to each side. Yet with only one mic, you are feeding a signal to only one side and nothing to the other side.

Try it both ways and see what you get.

Back