A hard drive quandary...

Adam P

I have a computer that I use only for the occasional recording that I do. It has two 80gb Seagate Barracudas in it. For a long time now, the secondary hard drive has been giving me trouble. It can't be detected by the computer at boot up, and in addition, it causes whatever else is on the same IDE cable to not be detected as well. Because I have it as the Primary Slave, when this happens the Primary Master (my other hard drive, the one with WinXP) isn't detected, and I get a boot error. The only way around this is to open the case and remove the power cable from the hard drive. If its not getting power then it doesn't cause any problems, but obviously I can't use it, either.

I've tried moving it to the Secondary Master and the Secondary Slave, with my CD writer as Master. It doesn't work in either instance, and causes the CD writer to go undetected when its the Slave. Tonight I put the hard drive into another computer I have, and it did the exact same thing, so I've narrowed the problem down to the drive itself (or the IDE cable, but the cable works fine with the Master drive). Before, it would occasionally freeze the computer while it was running if I tried to access a file on it, and then I would reboot and encounter this problem, so I would simply disconnect the power. If I waited a while and then shut down the computer and reconnected the power to the drive, it would work again 9 times out of 10. However, now not even that works.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Do I just have a bum hard drive? Like I said, it was only for storage, and the important stuff that was on it is backed up anyways on CDs, so I'm not concerned about losing any valuable data. I'm just kind of upset that I might have a malfunctioning hard drive, because thats 50 bucks down the drain. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I was afraid that might be it. Unfortunately, I think its a factory refurbished or repaired item, because when I bought it it came without packaging or a manual. I also got it back in March. I'm sure theres an implied warranty here somewhere, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle.

Back