Guitar Rig + Audition 1.5 1st Impressions

Polaris20

First of all, I have to say Audition 1.5 is the Be All End All audio app for me, and I am ordering my (student hehehe) copy today. The VST effects and Rewire capability make an already fantastic app even better. This is the program I've been waiting for.

Anyway, since I had been using CEP2.1 for awhile, AA1.5 wasn't really anything surprising in regards to layout, albeit with a few more options and buttons. Sound quality and ease of use all business as usual.

The cool part was when I recorded a dry guitar DI'd in through my sound card, then copied the track to other tracks. Then I applied different presets from NI's Guitar Rig to the tracks. A Vox patch on one, a Twin patch on another, and finally a Plexi patch.

Wow. It's really easy to add some depth and thickness to songs by adding in some tracks.

However, I still think separately recorded tracks sound the best, or re-amping, either through a POD or a real amp.

But the ease of use, especially for songwriting ideas, Guitar Rig works well.

I don't feel it is worth the $500 they're asking though, especially when Guitar Port from Line6 is very similar with more revisions for $400 less. Features-wise they seem pretty similar, except that the Guitar Rig comes with a control pedal. I am thinking of picking one of the Guitar Ports up to give it a whirl.

I am going to do a base track this weekend with Reason for drums, bass, and synths. Then I will do the guitar parts first with POD on one version, then Guitar Rig on another version. Then I'll convert and see if I can find a spot to host the MP3's.

I know that a real amp is the ideal way of recording, but for early morning/late evening songwriting, this stuff is way cool.

I'm confused. Do you already own a copy of Audition 1.5 and Guitar Rig? If so, why would you need to order a "student copy?" If not, how were you able to test Guitar Rig in Audition 1.5?

And with Guitar Rig, did you buy it or are your testing the demo? Some of your wording makes it appear as if you didn't actually pay for it (yet)...

BTW- is there a MIDI port on the foot pedal or just 1/8" jacks?

I agree, cool edit / auditions ease of use is great. It was the first program i used to do recording and i still use it a lot for editing my wavs. I'm now a sonar user but the two programs have their own strngths and weaknesses (midi in cool edit for example). The ability to rewire with audition is awsome though. Linking audition and Reason would be quite powerful.

As for the speculations by FBI cybercrime about you priating the programs, it is obvious that you wre testing the software and you are now buying it. I say good for you. I, personally don't have a problem with people evaluating a program before they buy it. Usually, demos are not available (cubase) and you don't want to be stuck with a program you don't like or can't use. As long as people buy the software they use, not paying for software is uncool.

Check out the video from the Apple Developer Conference, which Joe Gore plays some licks with Guitar Rig. Looks like an "Amplitube-killer", though a bit on the $$$-side.

How are the presets? Any good distortion tones/presets to speak of?

I'm really digging AA 1.5. I didn't pay full price either. I bought 1.0 on ebay for $90.00 and then downloaded the upgrade.

I'm using a digitech RPx400 for clean guitars and for mics. For distortion I'm using a PodXT. The tone is soild but I'm still dealing with fixing pops and cracks.

I'm very happy with the results so far. I haven't used the auto tune yet.

FBI Cybercrime2 said:
I'm confused. Do you already own a copy of Audition 1.5 and Guitar Rig? If so, why would you need to order a "student copy?" If not, how were you able to test Guitar Rig in Audition 1.5?

And with Guitar Rig, did you buy it or are your testing the demo? Some of your wording makes it appear as if you didn't actually pay for it (yet)...

BTW- is there a MIDI port on the foot pedal or just 1/8" jacks?

I didn't pay for any of it yet. Both Adobe and NI offer 30 day trial downloads of their software.

I get a student discount through JourneyEd.com.

You don't need the foot pedal to use Guitar Rig, and DI box will do.

Back