Firepod, Logic Audio Platinum, and XP

sepsis311

Hey guys,
Have any of you successfully set this up before? I want to enable 20/24bit recording, as well as 96khz. Any help is appreciated.

I run the firepod with XP.
No Logic Audio but 2 out of 3 ain't bad....

No reason why that setup wouldn't work

Well, i was able to set it up at 48000hz sampling at 24 bit. if i try to do 96, the audio gets distorted. I set logic to match the asio driver for the firepod. Is there any reason this wouldnt work? Is it purely a performance issue? Or am i doing something wrong.

If it works at 48 but distorts at 96, chances are you're running into hardware or environmental constraints.

Try increasing the number of samples in your asio buffers

The ideal value is the lowest value you can get away with without getting noise. You want to minimise the number of buffer samples while recording to reduce latency. When your mixing, you can increase the buffer size again to cope with all those tracks you've recorded

Lets not get into the whole fact that 96k is useless unless going to a high sampling-rate-compatible medium.

ok. thanks. i'll set it up for that. now if the average listener doesn't own any type of higher def media, then why would 24bit/96khz be used for music production? unless dvd audio is higher quality?

well, this is the homerecording forum.
Most of us do not have the equipment or the ears to distinguish between a track at 96k and 44.1.
Now don't get me wrong, I always record in 24-bit, as there are some more apparent benefits than just simply raising the sampling frequency, although at the end of the day, its just a personal preference.
In my opinion, recording 96k vs. 44.1 is moot, but 16bit vs. 24 can be beneficial, depending on what you are doing and how you are doing it.
Just my 2 cents, and others may disagree, so try it for yourself and use your ears.

Back