Extreme MIDI latency problems

chizuck

Another question from someone just getting started:

I've got a Tascam US-122 that I've been using to record some audio tracks of banjo and guitar in Cubase LE and I recently tried adding some drums through the MIDI port. I recently got a Yamaha DTXPress electronic drum kit that I would like to be able to use to record drum tracks with, but am having really bad latency issues. This is my first attempt at doing anything with MIDI (all my stuff has been acoustic so far) so I'm hoping there's something very obvious I'm missing.

The computer all this is hooked up to is pretty new - Athlon 3500 chip somewhere near 3GHz, 1Gb of RAM, etc. so I don't think it should be slowing me down too badly. When I add the Midi track I have both the input and the output set to my Tascam US-122, which has two MIDI cables going to the DTXPress (the Tascam's input is hooked to the Yamaha's output, and vice versa). When I strike one of the drum pads the level meter on that channel in Cubase shows that it receives the signal right away, but the sound doesn't come out of the monitors (which are hooked to the monitor output of the Tascam) until almost a full second later. I've messed around some with different sizes and numbers of buffers, but about the best I could do was a delay of about a half second (4 buffers of 128).

When I record audio through a microphone and monitor through the computer (instead of direct monitoring) I get some barely perceptible latency, probably 20ms or so. For some reason I figured the latency would be even less of a problem for MIDI, but maybe I'm wrong. Anything obvious that I should check?

Thanks for any ideas - I've been through the Cubase manual with little result.

- Chuck

Back