does anybody know of good/current computer info resources?

minofifa

Hey everybody

Like many, many people before me here, i've decided to build and/or buy a new computer for recording. I'm in interested in all of the components i need, their features, functions, types and whatnot. I figured id probably get a lot of angry posts if i asked questions like what is the best mobo /Ram since these questions have been answered a million times. I was just hoping that somebody could point me in the direction of a website that had all of this info in one place. More importantly I am looking for up to date information/ reviews. I'm not intrested in 1980's components!!

Things I'm looking for are:
Recomendations on a mobo. I've looked asus but there are a million different types supporting different chip sets. What chip set should i look into?

The difference in ram types: DDR ect.

thanks

D

Here is a list of parts one of the developers of Samplitude tested. I built this computer and it has been the fastest, most dependable computer I've ever owned. Here is my list: "ASUS P4C800-E, Corsair 512 DDR 433 3500(not3300), and P4 3.2 or 3.0 800FSB, WD Raptor 36 GB and Raptor 74 GB HD's, Zalman CNPS5000-CU, Zalman 400A-APF, and Cooler Master TAC-101 Wave Master Alum Case"
The original list included the P4P800 mobo, which is what I have. When I use the internet for downloads, I re-enable network adaptors in device manager - which takes about 15 seconds. Otherwise, the network hogs the PCI bus. The P4C800-E board has corrected this problem. I chose the Wave Master on a whim. You could find a cheaper case, maybe a Lian that would be just as good. The Zalman fans are quiet and efficient. I used silver paste for my CPU mounting. The Raptor HD operates at 10,000rpm which significently improves throughput.

Chuck

kewl

thanks for the link rage, i will definately be browsing through that wealth of info. maybe post a few dumb questions there too.

Thanks for the specs chuck, i think i have a good idea of what i want as far as ram, cpu, video card, and sound card. Everything esle is pretty much over my head. I want to make sure i get a good motherboard. The case i could care less about. I don't know anything about power supplies or fans so i may have to leave that to a salesman (gulp...).

Is there any reason to choose DDR ram over other stuff?

Thanks

Mino,
The parts you choose for an audio DAW work together as a whole. The list I gave you was tested and put together by one of the leading developers of Samplitude. The power supply and even the 3500 DDR version works better than the 3300 version of Corsair DDR. If you build it yourself and you're not sure about how to start, pay someone to help you, but take notes and learn how to do it. If you want to have a top audio computer and save money, learn how to build one and trust the people who have taken the time to choose the right parts. The biggest mistake you can make assembling the parts is to not get in the habit of touching the case everytime you enter the case to install parts. Static electricity is your biggest enemy. Holding a CPU in your hand and walking across the carpet could easily destroy your CPU. The ASUS manuel provides step-by-step help and forum boards like this one also provide help if you get stuck. ATI or Matrox video cards have been good audio friendly choices. One nice thing about a Lian case is you get a high precision alum case with top quality fans built in. Here is a favorite internet supplier of parts. Fast shipping and if you're out of their state, no taxes. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

good luck,

Chuck

Back