Do I need a more expensive soundcard/ audio interface?

aznwonderboy

-Which sound card ( < $150 ) should I get to best bring out the quality of my mic (MXL V67G) and preamp (M-Audio DMP3)?

I want a card that can record 2 mics at the same time; each into a different track on the software (Cool Edit).
------

After many hours of reading reviews and opinions on this forum, I have come to the following:

-Most preferred "on-the-budget" condenser MICROPHONES:
1) MXL V67G
2) Studio Projects B1

-Most preferred "on-the-budget" PREAMPS for those mics:
1) M-Audio DMP3
2) Studio Projects VTB-1

I have ordered the V67G and planning to get the DMP3. (I also plan to buy the SP B1 and the VTB-1 in the near future too so I won't have to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side.) That's why I want a card that can record 2 mics at the same time - so that I can test out both microphones (the V67G and the SP B1) at the same time in one recording.

--------
I have looked at the M-Audio 2496 Audio Interface. It seems to only have RCA in/outs and MIDI in/out. Where on the card can I plug the cable coming out from the preamp?

Is it wise to get a card under $200 that has a preamp in it too? Will the preamp quality be worse than the standalone DMP3?

audiophile 2496 is totally fine. just get a rca-1/4" cable and you are set. I wouldn't waste too much time researching cards in ur budget. get the 2496 and enjoy recording

Al

Any stereo card can record two mono tracks. But the major differences will be in the physical connections and the converter quality.

I would go with the Mia. Then you can run balanced out of the DMP and into the balanced in's of the Mia.

i've used the Audiophile 2496 for several years now and it's done a fantastic job. with the rest of your gear, i doubt you'd hear much of a difference between that and the next step up anyway.

yes, it's got RCA in's, you need to get an adapter to change from the 1/4" out from the DMP3 to RCA. i've been doing that for a couple years, too.

in the meantime, i completely agree with A1A2--just get the audiophile and start recording!

wade

Back