Cubase LE or Cakewalk Sonar???

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
Hey guys, which sequencer would you say is best ...I use Cakewalk Sonar 2 XL at the minute ...but i saw a friend using Cubase LE on his Mac and it looks SUPER COOL!!!

It looks a lot easier to edit tracks on it...

And I can get a copy of it from another friend that will work on my PC....

Is Cubase better than Cakewalk?

PS i have a load of Plug Ins and mastering software ...including

Sound Forge 6, Antares, D SOund Stomp'n FX, Hyperprism 2.5 , Waves Renaissance VOX, T-Racks....

lurgan liar said:
Hey guys, which sequencer would you say is best ...I use Cakewalk Sonar 2 XL at the minute ...but i saw a friend using Cubase LE on his Mac and it looks SUPER COOL!!!

It looks a lot easier to edit tracks on it...

And I can get a copy of it from another friend that will work on my PC....

Is Cubase better than Cakewalk?

PS i have a load of Plug Ins and mastering software ...including

Sound Forge 6, Antares, D SOund Stomp'n FX, Hyperprism 2.5 , Waves Renaissance VOX, T-Racks....

This debate has raged for generations and will likely never end. Both are good programs and the differences really come down to what you are more comfortable with. I use Cubase and like it. Some like Sonar. They are idiots, clearly. :D

Actually, LE may require hardware to work (I'm not sure). Cubase SE is very similar to LE and has a few more effects per channel. It sells separately for under $100 US. I think it's a great piece of software.

comparing the latest version of each i would definately go with sonar. cubase LE is an entry level sequencer while sonar is cakewalk's most powerful sequencer app. it would be more fair to compare cubase LE to home studio.

its obviously not good enough for your friend for him to just give his copy away. :)

There is no "best", there is only what works for YOU and your workflow.

Try out the demos. (There are links to legit demos of Cubase and Sonar over on www.hitsquad.com) That's how I made my decision to go with Cubase, but it's entirely on what works for YOU.

ByTheWay, if you and your friend ever want to collaborate I strongly recomend you both standardize on the same program. It's a >>lot<< easier to bounce files back and forth if you're using the same app....

ahh yes, i dont' think i explained myself. given the choice between cubase LE and sonar, i would go with sonar. but given the choice between cubase SX and sonar, it is a toss-up.. both are similar.

If you already have Sonar, I don't see what the question is. You'll get an upgrade price, get an interface that's pretty familiar, and a lot more powerful. Go with Cubase and you'll be having to learn another interface, and as people said, LE doesn't have the capability of Sonar 4 either studio or producer edition.

I'd personally go with n-Track, but since that's not one of the options...

Try Cubase out, and see if you like it. Both programs are powerful, and the choice is similar to that of choosing between Mac or PC: it's just a preference. There are two main reasons why there is more than one sequencer out there: 1) So a company doesn't monopolize the industry and 2) so you can use the one that you're most comfortable with.

Any product can do that for you if you just want to sequence an album entirely in the box. I use Cubase SX3. If you are already a Sonar 2 user, I suggest you switch to Sonar 4. If you want a Pro Studio (that will atract clients), go with Pro Tools HD or Nuendo.

It really isn't fair to compare Sonar 4 with Cubase LE though. LE is almost more of an advertisement than a real program. Just enough to get yo uhooked, which it sounds like it did;)

xstatic.
with respect the last time i looked cubase does not do a number of features this product has. show me in cubase where i can load a creedance style or a jazz or latin style and have a song composed for me immediately instantly , immediately in that style.
also - as far as i'm aware cubase does not generate solos on the fly. you have to enter the midi data. which is why a number of sequencer users use it. please correct me if i'm wrong.

My bad. I meant loop based sequencing. Premade songs like that is just silly to me. Why not just go get a Casio keyboard and just use the various demos? Hell, why even bother? Thats what the radio is for. If you need more options than what the radio gives you, then you sign up for sattelite radio.

Also, how does this apply AT ALL to the original post?

Then again, I may have to look into Band in a Box now. My 5 year old would probably love it. By the time he is 7 though, I am sure he will have outgrown it.

xstatic said:
Also, how does this apply AT ALL to the original post?

That's manning1's modus operandi. Any pretext to peddle his crap.

BAnd in a box is a cute toy, and yes, you are right, one outgrows it quickly.

xstatic.
with respect its not a toy.
its a very serious compositional tool.
it can be as simple (ie..the 5 year old) or as complex (the advanced musician) as one wants.
and if you spend some time with it youll see why lots of serious gigging and studio users rave about it.
god - i cant believe the close mindedness of people on here.

just shows how little people know.

fraser...go peddle your venom on the biab user forum.
i think youll get an earfull from serious musicians in return.
particularly about how they actually make a lot of money playing gigs
using it. also go peruse god knows how many sites on the internet dedicated
to add on products for it. what your saying is nonsensical.

to lurgen.
for your info. assume i'm a complete liar THEN talk to other users/demo biab and read the 20,000 posts odd from the base of very active biab users.
there are thousands of examples in the forums at pg showing how usefull biab is in a thousand different ways. you will then see thati'm giveing you honest info.

Last edited:
manning1, you are not going to peddle you cheap software here. Go away. The only person here that knows little here is you. You don't have a freakin clue and you don't take a hint. This BBS is for homerecording, not for selling cheap crappy software.

From the BIAB review Manning1 linked to:

"...And even if you have no musical skills whatsoever, you can still quickly produce acceptable (if unexciting) original music."

Here we go again with all that SPAM to that uncreative piece of shit $48 software program GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! :mad:

You know, if the original poster just wanted to take a couple of prercorded genre based loops and resequence them himself, BIAB may be great. I, however, was under the impression that he actually wanted to record his own stuff. Not use prerecorded tracks for everything. For the right person, I can certainly see its use. But, 99% of the people here are interested in recording, not remixing.

xstatic. biab does not use pre-recorded sample tracks.
and phyl is wrong with respect. in the right hands one can get great sound
tracks recorded, and people are doing it every day.. that qoute is related to someone with no skills. same idea as if someone knew nothing and tried to use nuendo or saw or whatever. the result would be pretty bad.
i'm beginning to think there is a whole bunch of programmers on here who work for music software companies.
by contrast - a normal user - i suggest they try something , and they try it. might or might not be for them.

Back