Constructing an audio multi-cable with CAT5-cable

Saz

Hi there,

Some guy asked me if it's possible to use CAT5 cables to make a multi-cable for live-band performance use. So he wants the CAT5 to act as an audio-signal cable (in this case microphone-signal) only.

He wants to make connections between a live 16 channel-mixer and microphones which are located on the stage.

I'm not familiar with this.. I think it can be done, although CAT5 doesn't have any shielding.. How would the signal to noise ratio end up?

Any ideas on this subject? Is it worth a try?

Thanx in advance,
Saz

Given how inexpensive CAT5 is these days, I'd think it would be worth a try, but as you said, CAT5 doesn't have any shielding, so I have serious doubts that you'd want to trust it for a live gig with who-knows-what kind of interference is going on.

Gotta have shielding! also Cat 5 is solid wire, very small gauge so it breaks VERY easily. Its intended use is permanent installations where it doesn't get moved around, plugged and unplugged, walked on, tripped over, etc.

You will in effect be making a very nice long antenna!!! Stick with cable that is suited for it's intended purpose. Shielded two pair with a braided gound/shield. Yup, more expensive, but that is why it works! :)

Ed

Back