Considering move to Digi 001 from DAW/rack equipment

colonist

I'm currently using 2 Fostex DMT-8vls with a rack full of analog EQ/reverb/compression/etc. It's a great setup for recording, but a pain in the butt to master/edit/mix. I also get more noise than I'd like from my collection of external effects (a lot of Alesis stuff chained together)... For storage I use DAT as well as a Phillips CDR.

I'm thinking of getting the Digi 001 package since I've got a PC (PIII-450) that doesn't do much except run Netscape. Since Digidesign says the 001's ADAT optical connections are compatible with optical SPDIF I'd still have a digital connection to DAT & CDR.

Does Pro Tools LE come with a decent set of basic FX? Has anybody else "converted" their home studio to Pro Tools from a setup similar to mine?

Thanks for any input.

Yes

The FX that comes with the 001 is very capable.
Not the top notch Focusrite level but defenitly nothing!! to complain about.

It doesn't come with a reverb but if you look for it you can find a deal that comes bundeld with one.
There was a time when they gave out there reverb for free but I don't know if today after it's being marketed for half a year if they still give it out for free. It's called "D-verb".

[Edited by Shailat on 10-12-2000 at 14:59]

Saw a stack of Digi001 boxes today that had stickers saying D-Verb was included free inside.

I have heard that the Digi001 is a good all in one unit, but that the hardware isn't all the great when compared to other soundcards and breakout boxes in that price range. For instance, you might be better off with a separate interface and mic preamp. Of course, Protools LE would probably be the main selling point for it. Dobro posted about Digidesign promising a downloadable version of Protools LE sometime soon, so I'm waiting until that becomes available before I decide what I'm doing about the Digi001.

Dverb

Dverb comes free with all Digi001s. However, running at 256 RAM and 700 MHz PIII, I can tell you that the Audio Suite plugins (effects) chew up the CPU. If your machine can't handle it, it hangs. Go for RAM over speed and you'll be fine.

er... hang on a minute :)

Correction to Brahmb's post

RTAS plugs in PTLE use CPU resources... adding more RAM will do little for your plug-in count. Digi recommend a minimum of 128mg of Ram and a suggested 192mg if you plan to use other applications as well as PTLE. I'm a MAC/001 user so I'm coming from that angle, but I'm pretty sure the PC version is similar.... I would rather go for a faster PC than more RAM!

My R0.02c :)

Actually, RTAS stands for Real Time Audio Suite which is what I was referring to. As for the PC version,the system that Colonist was referring to is fast enough, if it runs on sufficient RAM. You need more RAM than speed for the PC version. Just what I discovered when I had to change systems altogether to support the card. And if you go to the DUC and look at the problems with the PC version ( I know they had some with Mac, but none that come close to the compatibility issues of the PC) you'll see that the programs are not similar. That's evident in the fact that OS and Windows are totally different beasts. OS calls for memory in a different way than Windows. Windows itself varies from system to system based on the manufacturer of the processor, which is why there are so many comptibility issues.

[Edited by Brahmb on 10-17-2000 at 16:44]

Back