Is This Computer Good For Recording?

idealguitars

I want to get a ew computer without breaking the bank. I will be running Propellerhead Reason 4.0 & Record 1.0 and using a M-Audio Fast Tracks 8R.

I can get this for under $700

Features:
Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad Processor 8200
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
750GB SATA Hard Drive
18x DVD-RW Drive
SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash technology
ATI Radeon HD 4350 with up to 512MB video graphics
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
10/100/1000 (Gb) LAN
1-year limited warranty.

Any Suggestions???

Not a bad choice

BUT Vista? I don't trust it. I would look for XP as drivers for this OS are more stable.

With XP you can use maximum 3GB of RAM. If it will DDR3 RAM this is quite enough for the software you have mentioned.

Another thing is the hardriwe. It is better two have to HDDs on the PC for music recording. 1st is the data safety. The second it is better not to load the hard drive where you record with oter tasks.

Cheers!

Thx. I forgot to mention that it comes with a free upgrade to windows 7.0
I don't see where I would need to go all the way to an I7 Quad Core to run the software that I am running. I will add an extrenal HD reguardless of what I get.

No point getting 8GB of memory, as vijsolo said if you're only running 32bit. You can use 4GB but you'll have about 3GB for yourself while the system will reserve the rest. I also agree when he suggested to stick with XP for music - why put on something that taxes your system more for no real advantage. Get the second drive and use that just for your recordings.

Well I bought it and they gave me a nice 21.5 HDMI monitor to go with it. Reason & Record runs beautifully on it. Just need a keyboard with 64 bit drives now as my old Oxegyn 8 doesn`t. I`m running Vista 64 the moment until I get my Windows 7 CD. Might just go to XP as you said though which mean the keyboard would work.

Well I bought it and they gave me a nice 21.5 HDMI monitor to go with it. Reason & Record runs beautifully on it. Just need a keyboard with 64 bit drives now as my old Oxegyn 8 doesn`t. I`m running Vista 64 the moment until I get my Windows 7 CD. Might just go to XP as you said though which mean the keyboard would work.

If it is between being able to use all 8 gigs of your ram (and buying XP) or having to upgrade your POS keyboard, i think I would upgrade the keyboard

Last edited:
Back