cables

icarus

I'm recording a roland xv-88 using cakewalk on a p4 1.3G with a mia soundcard. Mostly I'm recording lightly layered piano or solo piano with the piano expansion board. This piano board with a few of the xv's effects is exactly the sound i want, but when i record it it is sounding a little bit flat, despite decent levels. I'm guessing that some better cables might improve the mix. I'm wondering if anyone tends to agree that good cables are a must for a proper acoustic based recording, and more importantly, what are some good cables for my purposes and where can I get them. I'd be willing to spend between $100 and $200 (and I don't need long cables, either, so that's not an issue). Any help or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. I know nothing about good cables.

i shouldn't have said "acoustic based mix" because it's actually all digital. I just meant to achieve an acoustic feel.

I'm not an "expert" on these matters, but I have a couple suggestions.

1. If your Roland has balanced outputs, use balanced cables. The Mia has balanced inputs. (Does the roland have any digital out? That would be best, if it's an option, as the Mia can handle that too.)

2. Yes, better cables make a difference. I think the "500" series from Monster would be just what you're looking for. I think they have a "1000" series too (higher numbers with Monster = higher quality components.)

-Shaz

thanks for the advice. i've checked out the monster 1000 studio pros, and they sound decent to me i guess, but i really don't know. they look like they are going to be about $100.00 for the 12 foot (although 6 is all i need, but i can't find that). any input on these from anyone?

When you say it "sounds a little flat" are you referring to the perceived volume levels on the .wav recording or a lack of reverb?

BTW: what kind of cable are you using right now?

by flat i just mean that recording doesn't really seem to catch the nuance and expression of the sound that i hear when just playing. right now i'm using hosas.

That explains it right there! Hosa SUCKS!

Try Monster 100 or build your own.

That's the outer edge of results.

I appreciate the advice. Is there a particular type of those brands I should get? WHy are monster cables so much more expensive than the others?

icarus said:
WHy are monster cables so much more expensive than the others?
Because originally they built a lot of hype in the HiFi market that green-marker-type audiophiles buy into and created a niche market for!

Unfortunately, that price ticket carried on into their line of studio cables!

Bruce

od, i've decided to get some mogami quads. other than the fact that i need 1/4 balanced TRS connectors for the patches, is there anything else i should know to make sure i'm getting the best connectors?

Blue Bear Sound said:
Because originally they built a lot of hype in the HiFi market that green-marker-type audiophiles buy into and created a niche market for!

Unfortunately, that price ticket carried on into their line of studio cables!

Bruce

Yup, I am one of those "green marker type" of guys when it comes to Monster Studio Pro 1000.

Me and a friend who owns a studio tested ourselves comparing it to the covented Canare and Mogami. We have even had clients take a listen. Funny, without fail, everybody, without knowing which cable is which when they listen, prefer the sound of the Monster SP 1000. Common comments are "It sound more natural", "The high's are higher and the low's are lower", "It sounds sweeter", "The music sounds more articulate".

But hell Bruce, what do I know? Just some slob, hack, uneducated wannabe in podunk Portland Oregon acting like an engineer. It is not like I hear well or anything. I guess the likes of Quincy Jones, another SP1000 fan must just be falling for marketing hype. :confused: Thank you for setting me straight and that my ears were just playing tricks on me. What would I ever do without such INFORMED opinions about gear?

Ed

Back