Best audio multitrack progam under $500.00

Freudian Slip

OK guys I'm looking at replacing my cw9.0. I do not need midi. I only record audio, edit, mixdown and burn. I would like to get some opinions on what program might work best for me. Stability and reliability are in mind as well. I am running a 1ghz pentium, 60gig HD, Echo layla 24/96 and 256 mb of ram.

Any opinions would be great.

Oh ya I do get up to 50 or 60 tracks.

Thanks

F.S.

I would also recommend upgrading to Sonar. I think you can do this relatively inexpensively as an upgrade, since you already own CW PA9 (mine was $99.00, but I think that was only an initial offer when Sonar was first released).

Also the learning curve would not be too steep, since much of Sonar is similar or identical to PA9.

I should have mentioned this.

I should have mentioned

At the moment I am so pissed at cakewalk. I'm sure you know about the console view problems. what with the faders randomly going back to previous settings. I am trying the work arounds now but this is not a problem that should have a work around.

I put allot of research into buying cakewalk9.0 suite as I do with any computer related product. One thing I always do is go to the FAQ section or support area and look over common complaints. This problem is never mentioned that I could see. That pisses me off I think they fail to mention it on purpose (if you know what I mean). Then doing research here looking at past threads ect. , I see the problem has been around for a long, long time. In one thread someone posted their correspondence with cakewalk in which cakewalk said the next release would fix the problem. That was in 1999!!!!

So as you can see after spending an hour or two reworking a mix, finding a really balanced sound, saving it every step of the way and then mixing down to find the mix was different, and then looking to find many of the sliders have moved. I was and am PISSSED!!

Sorry to vent but to me I feel as if I was deceived by twelve tone (cakewalk). Why is this not on their site? Everyone who owns CW9.0 knows about the problem!!!!

I have heard sonar has the same problem so I am unsure if I would want to touch it. They have had several years to fix it and haven't. What does that say about the company? I can buy a $49.00 game and get quicker action addressing problems.

I must say I have been able to put out some really good stuff with CW9.0 but I don't have hours to devote to mixes that may or may not come out. It should be allot easier. I don't want a %@%#@ work around. FIX IT!!!!!!!

Later

A pissed F.S.

I think I have a zanax in the medicine cab. :)

Hey Gidge

If I am wrong about sonar having the same problem please correct me, but I have read thatinmore than one place. Sonar does have volume and pan controles out of the console view though right? maybe that solves my problem? Can you run aux's with effects on the trac view as well?

Let me know if you know of my problem and have solved it going to sonar.

Later

F.S.

You dont need the console anymore, its all done from track view. The summing buses and everything just plain sound better, too. Whole new programming specifically designed for Win2K (more stable), pretty stable now in 1.3, I like it. Havent seen any weird fader stuff at all. They should either be having a new patch soon or version 2.0 also, so things should be getting even more firm than they are, and they are pretty firm now.
And, when you have all the meters on in track view and about 15 tracks going, it sure looks cool as hell :)
For the cost of the upgrade, you're doing really good. You'll like it way better, I think, at least just for the track view and the automatable effects.
Do it.

Tubedude

Would you suggest I run it in Win 98? I am not feeling very good about updating my sound card drivers for w2k yet. Echo just came out with the drivers and I would like to give them a chance to work out the bugs first.

F.S.

Back