Beginner seeking help/advice!

pearlmutt

Hi!

I'm ready to go broke and spend every penny I have on a new recording setup! I'm a beginner but I want to buy the best rig possible.....not interested in a beginner setup! I don't want to have to buy a new rig a year or two from now...I'd rather get great gear from the start..........but I don't know what I'm doing so any and all input is encouraged and appreciated!

MY GOALS: I want to be able to do everything myself....I don't want to have to rely on other people to get things done. I want to be able to do everything start to finish (guitar, bass, program drums, vocals, samples, synths etc...) by myself and have it sound really really good. I would also like to record other bands......and be able to record a fully mic'd drumkit. I play metal but I like all kinds of different music and play alot of clean stuff/not metal....I'd like to be very well rounded and able to record whatever. I'm very aware that no matter what I get I can't buy talent and knowledge.....I just really don't want to buy crappy gear!

What I'm interested in and well... what I think/know I'm going to buy so far....unless you have any other sugestions?

Pro tools LE
Toontrack Drumkit from Hell 2
Shure sm57

Other than that I have no idea and need help...

WHAT KIND OF AUDIO INTERFACE SHOULD I PURCHASE? I would like to use Pro Tools .....and like I said I want to be able to record a fully mic'd drumkit and I don't want to buy things twice/have to upgrade a year from now. I also want to use the DFH2.

MICS? I'm goin to get an SM57 for sure......what kind of drum mics would you suggest? What about vocals?

MONITORS??? I have NO IDEA where to start with this one...

COMPUTER??? What would need to run all this stuff? The computer I have now is junk but I'm willing to get a new one.....Mac OSX 10.6 or Windows 7?

OTHER? I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff......help? What else should I be looking at?

LEARNING RESOURCES: Books, Forums, Websites, Magazines, Online courses......whatever....post anything that will help me learn!

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.....I would like very much to learn from your mistakes/experience and do things right the first time......your help is much appreciated!

Back