audiophile 2496 card problems

jp11801

I have an M-Audio 2496 card in a system with an athalon 750 cpu, 192 mb ram, 20 gig hard drive that I run a J-station through for a preamp for guitars. I have recently gotten the home recording bug and need some help please. I run 2 O/S windows 98se and 2000 pro. I can't get the card to come up in 98 with the drivers loaded to that drive, Windows 2000 works great with the exception of cd play and I can't get it to work with nstudio. I have guitar tracks that I used for recording in the past but want to step up to a better software package. Also what type of speakers/monitors does antone suggest in the $500 range. I orginally was going to get Klipch 2.1s before the recording bug struck but now I am thinking monitors for less colored playback.

Forget the question I got it working in windows 2000 with all my recording software. It does have two litlle buggy things about it, the 2496 card, when i play multiple mp3s in a row I need to go to the windows volume and tap it to get sound and the plug in for winamp to play cds pops and clicks like crazy. I'll figure it out though.

Maybe you should invest in some ram. Is there such a thing as 192 megs of ram? I don't know anyone with less than a gig or ram these days.

I have a 24\96, there are a couple of things in the setup of it that make it work better. In your control panel under "sound and audio devices" or whatever it is in windows 2000, find the tab that has the audio device settings. Under SOUND PLAYBACK tab, The M-Audio Delta drivers show up twice - one is called something like "M-Audio Delta AP 1/2", the other is called "M-Audio Delta AP Multi". Don't use the Delta AP 1/2, use the multi. The 1/2 doesn't let you adjust the volume with the windows volume control, or by any other windows interface.

Also, in your audio software, always try to use the ASIO drivers, they run much smoother, with no popping or dropouts or noticeable latency.

hueseph said:
Maybe you should invest in some ram. Is there such a thing as 192 megs of ram? I don't know anyone with less than a gig or ram these days.

He probably has two ram cards - a 128 MB and a 64 MB one.
A while ago I bought my parents 128 megs, which combined with their 32 MB card to give them 160 megs. Yeehaw!

Back