Audio monitoring VS Hardware Monitoring

I-AM

Good Afternoon Engineers, Producers, Musicians and Artists,

Quick question after searching the forums a bit. I have a iMac Dual Core 2.0 ghz, 4 GB Ram computer and a Tascam FW1884 that I am using to run Logic Pro 7. I have been working through some of the lessons in a very detailed Logic Book and when it came to creating buses and etc., I noticed in order to create and effectively utilize the buses that I have to change my audio preferences to allow Logic to "Monitor Audio".
Currently, I have a really nice compressor (no really, an RNC!) and an outboard EQ that I would like to keep hooked up for not only the overall sound of my mixes but also for when I record some vocals and guitar on specific channels.
What I did was create a bus that sends the audio signal to outs 3-4 (instead of 1-2 for main) which goes to the compressor then to the EQ and back in to 7-8 inputs on my FW1884. I am seeing that in order for me to utilize this is to have the Audio Monitoring turned on within Logic, and my question is, since I have an FW1884 shouldn't I just be using it and its driver to monitor the audio signal with less latency issues?
I may have answered my question already, but it seems that if I use the FW1884 to monitor everything, then I would have to connect the comp and eq and use it on specific tracks (such as inputs 1-2; vocals, guitar), but when I am doing final mixing where I want the overall mix to go through the comp and eq I would have to turn on the Audio monitoring within Logic and reroute the EQ and Comp back to input 7-8 to hear the processed signal. However, with the latter, I would be dealing with latency. Ideally I would like to Comp and EQ to stay connected to the 3-4 outs and I can route certain tracks through it when recording. Is there a better way to do this or does anyone have any thoughts or information on this.

Last edited:
Back