Apple issues G5 noise warning

brzilian

Apple has issued a memo to UK resellers regarding noise issues with the Power Mac G5.

One UK reseller told Macworld that the channel has received instructions from Apple suggesting ways in which noise associated with the Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 can be reduced.

According to the memo, noise is associated with external professional audio-equipment experienced in the form of "beeps and hisses". Apple is "willing to replace the power supply" for those experiencing such problems.

However it notes noise will be "reduced, but not eliminated, even if the power supply is replaced".

It goes on to say the noise may be "acoustic noise" associated with the power supply. In this instance Apple suggests "earthing" amplifiers and other relevant peripherals.

Another suggestion is that customers modify their Energy Saver preferences: "In the Options tab, a pop-up menu offers the options of Automatic, Highest, or Reduced. The Automatic and Reduced items will reduce, but not eliminate, the noise level."

Apple's forum on the G5 includes a number of references to noise issues. These include a "little chirp in the speakers" when the internal disk is making a larger seek, concerns about the noise generated by the seven fans, and noises associated with the PCI sound card.

One person states: "My otherwise extremely quiet G5 exhibits a high-pitched whine when I'm working certain apps. The worst offender is Dreamweaver MX 2004. Whenever I move the mouse while working in Dreamweaver the whine starts. It also happens infrequently in iTunes."

Macworld is awaiting comment from Apple on this issue.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8064

I guess I'm not surprised. New technology and new models often go through a period of where glitches, issues, and conflicts are ironed out. Apple products are not immune from this. Luckily, the G4 is still available for for a decent price.

True, but with a Mac you can sit in an all white room listening to Kraftwerk thinking, "I'm so cool sitting here in my all white room!"

Mac users put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

But once their pants are on, they've got a Mac to play with

I love Macs because I save loads of cash on software shopping at stores like Staples or Office Depot. They never have any Mac software so I never spend any money.

dwillis45 said:
I guess I'm not surprised. New technology and new models often go through a period of where glitches, issues, and conflicts are ironed out. Apple products are not immune from this. Luckily, the G4 is still available for for a decent price.

yeah but imagine you just spent $2000 on a G5 to use as DAW!

faderbug said:
yeah but imagine you just spent $2000 on a G5 to use as DAW!

Or imagine your ipod battery only lasted 18 months or your Apple Studio Display goes "snap, crackle, fizz" and has odd horizontal lines running through it. Better yet, imagine that it's 1999 and you just pre-ordered and paid for a new G4 500 and Apple gives you a G4/450 Sawtooth, explaining that Motorola couldn't make enough chips to satisfy the demand. They also charge the same price and you read that it's the first time in computer history that users pay more for a downgrade! Of course, that's not as bad as the time they started charging for technical support after selling you a Performa computer and a life-time of free tech support.

I'm not down on Macs complete because I know many people who are quite satisfied with them. I've been a PC tech for quite a few years now, so if something goes wrong with my PCs I can fix it myself. That's really the reason why I stick with a PC.

There's nothing wrong with the new G5, or any Mac for that matter, that can't be solved with a sledgehammer.

Unmanageable pieces of shit the lot of them.

:D Q.

Qwerty said:
There's nothing wrong with the new G5, or any Mac for that matter, that can't be solved with a sledgehammer.

We have three Macs in our house: an ibook, a G4, and a flat panel imac. My daughter uses an ibook at college and, heck, even grandpa has an imac. I've been a Mac user since the mid eighties and a Mac-basher for at least six or seven years. I generally use a rubber mallet, although I've been tempted to try the old sledgehammer! They are machines made by a megacorporations so I try to keep the love/hate thing in perspective!

sk8ingsnowman said:
It is funny when people make fun of macs.....because 99% of the mac bashers are using Windows as their OS....LOL....poor fools

I guess I must be in the one percent club! I've never used Windows and I've been using a Mac since the mid eighties. That gives me about 20 years of good and bad experiences with Apple. I can't tell which is better, faster, or more reliable! I can tell you that Apple is a big corporation that makes computers and that computers--made by Apple or anyone else--will fuck up! I try to save blind loyalty for my wife, my family, my dog, and even my country when it behaves.

dwillis45 said:
I guess I must be in the one percent club! I've never used Windows and I've been using a Mac since the mid eighties. That gives me about 20 years of good and bad experiences with Apple. I can't tell which is better, faster, or more reliable! I can tell you that Apple is a big corporation that makes computers and that computers--made by Apple or anyone else--will fuck up! I try to save blind loyalty for my wife, my family, my dog, and even my country when it behaves.

LOL :D Nicely put.

sk8ingsnowman said:
It is funny when people make fun of macs.....because 99% of the mac bashers are using Windows as their OS....LOL....poor fools

I'm lucky in that I get to work with them at work, see them crash just as much as Windows, and then save the money :D

OSX is no better than XP, it's just a matter of choice.

Back