Anyone with a Delta 1010 LT?

Looks like the Delta 1010 is the only one that has what it takes. The rest have crappy specs in comparison, but they are still marketing it as a cut-down 1010. Kinda sneaky if you ask me.

the RCA's are unbalancd..if that isnt an issue for you it shouldnt matter......

also, some people rather 1/4" inputs and hate RCA with a passion....again, if that isnt a problem.....

Just got one myself. Having setup issues right now -- according to Midiman tech support, I'm probably going to have to yank my soundblaster Live in order to get it running, since the two cards don't play well together. Doesn't exactly break my heart. :) My initial impressions:

1) I'm not holding out hope that the preamps are near the caliber of those that come with the 1010.

2) You can select from the control panel whether you want the inputs set to +4 or -10.

3) Balanced/Unbalanced . . . RCA/quarter inch . . . I'm just not convinced that these things should matter to a smaller project studio. If you have the necessary transformers and the cables are short and well-insulated, is there going to be a noticeable difference? If someone like Harvey comes here and tells me there is, then I will believe it, but untill then . . .

Chess,

alot of people here use Delta cards with SB cards together....you should be able to throw the SB back in once the Delta is setup...after the initial hair pulling (irq issues, etc) they will play well together....

the original 1010 DOESNT have preamps.....plus for the 1010lt.....

if these are the same preamps as in the Omni, they will rock.....

I hate not being able to control the gain on the pres. What in the hell is the damn point of having them if I cant do that?

Another problem Im having is that the mixer software for the Delta will not allow me to control the input and output level on the individual channels. When I load up the mixer, I see the level meters, and they are showing audio signal, but I cannot raise or lower that. Kinda sucks.

Im kinda dissapointed.

The technical differences between unbalanced and balanced connectors escapes me. The only thing I seem to remember is that unbalanced is more suseptable to noise interferance? Ill do some research.

Gidge - Knowing m-audio, I would imagine that if they were the same pres as in the omni (or similar), they would be plugging that fact pretty heavily in their literature. As it is, they only make casual mention that it "has 2 pres" and nothing else.

M-audio technician mentioned that my card could be in a "less-than-ideal" pci slot as far as audio and media are concerned.

I can't wait for that DMP-3 to come out! At $200 for two channels, if this thing delivers, could we already have the real rnmp? High frequency response basically to infinite. :)

A quote from a recent review on the Grace Design: "High freq. response that only dogs and test gear can appreciate."

Kingnothing - There are "pro audio" means of "converting" a balanced singnal to an unbalanced one -- transformers, d.i. boxes/reverse d.i. boxes (not the kind of d.i. box you're probably thinking of).

Now I've done a million searches on this topic, and most of my sources conclude that even balanced inputs aren't always ideal, but they can make a huge difference in certain situations: 1) If you are using very long cables (outdoor concerts come to mind), 2) if you are running a lot of cables together, 3) if those cables cross any power cables at any time 4) if cables are poorly insulated.

Again, this all sounds like issues that the touring sound engineer for Radio Head would face on a regular basis -- not the home rec'er who needs to record a drummer, bassist and guitar player from 10' away and input in to his DAW.

But what the hell do I know anyway? I only managed 25% of the votes for my remaster of that Praise the lord Jesus almighty song. :)

Speaking of that Jesus song, Blue Bear could probably answer that question for you - probably already has a million times - but I think you have to be a cute-sounding chick in order for him to give you the time of day. :) Maybe you could ask BunnyGirl or Daisy to ask him for you. ha ha ha.

Back