Any interface recommendations?

Willard Potter

Hi. I'm sure this is going to be one of those oft asked questions, but I have to be the one to ask. I've done a lot of searching all over the place and have found plenty to inform me of what I should be looking out for as far as interfaces go, but i'm really having trouble finding something that suits my needs within my budget and I don't want to get the wrong thing and be stuck with it. Plus, anything I found is 3+ years old. The products mentioned are either discontinued or I just felt there may be something better in this amount of time.

I'm trying to work in a $200~ price range. I don't mind going higher if it's worth it, but that's where i'm trying to keep close to.

Up till now, it's been about 3 years, I've been using a Line 6 UX1 and Pod Farm 2.5 into Reaper with some VST drum kits that work well enough. I was originally just using it for guitar input since I had no mics at the time. I got myself an SM57 before I understood the whole dynamic and condenser mic scenario. I'm fairly certain it's not 100% the UX1, but this certainly seems to not be a mic for vocals. It just sounded flat and hollow. On top of that, I found out that the XLR input on my UX1 wasn't working properly. I'm not sure if it is just a common condition and attributed to the cheapness of the interface or if it was just my unit, but there was already an audible hissing without a cable even being connected to it. I had already had it for over a year before I tried to use the XLR input, so I was SOL on warranty.

So... that's what I've been using. I'm sure many here could easily see why i'm looking to move forward. First, i'll explain what I plan, or at least hope, to be able to do. I'm trying to upgrade with a bit of dual purpose. First, I just hope to be able to produce better quality recordings(mostly just acoustic guitar and vocals, I use software instruments for most other things). Second, I'm trying to get somewhat of a podcast together to help promote local artists and whatnot.. I'm thinking that this can pretty much work hand in hand.

I would think that I would only really need 2 XLR inputs for most of my personal recording situations, but for the podcast, I would think i'd need more. I'm leaning toward 4 minimum. I almost bought an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB... after some digging, I found that it mixes everything down to a single mono channel, and that seems pretty useless. Then there was the USB 2.0 version of it, but some places say it's discontinued and others are still selling it, and i've known Musicians Friend and Guitar Center to sell products way past being discontinued and not sell new stuff for almost a year after it's on the market, so my experience in finding newer stuff on their sites isn't exactly trusting.

On the music side, I currently have a Roland GR-55 that should really just be able to plug into a 1/4" jack on almost anything, I would think if I wanted to run through something else, but it has it's own USB out for audio, which I use to record electric guitar/bass these days. I just ordered an MXL 990 with hopes that it'll be better for vocals and be good for the podcast.

Now that i'd rambled on and bored you all to death.. if you're still reading this, are there any recommendations of something I can use as an interface for this? The $200~ budget was more just for the interface, but for the entire setup. I plan to buy more mics as I can. As I said before, I'd be willing to spend more if it seems worth the extra money.

Edit: After some more digging(and, funny enough, one of the ads on this site), I'm liking the look of the PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL. Has anyone had any experience with this product? I saw a comment mentioning that they've had a better experience with the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, but I kinda like what I hear/see with PreSonus. Should I go with the 44VSL, knowing that it's kind of what I think to be a minimum or save for the 1818VSL so I can expand later?

Last edited:
Focus rite 2i2 $150 the best interface on the market for the price and IMHO better than any of those you just mentioned

While I like what I hear about the pre-amps in those and how much praise they get.. i'd need more mic inputs than those seem to offer. That's why I was looking at the PreSonus 44VSL or even possible saving for the 1818VSL. If it were just myself doing personal recordings by myself, the two XLR inputs would have done great but I plan on recording 3 to 4 people speaking at minimum when things get into full swing.

What type of computer are you running for your DAW... Windows desktop, laptop, Mac? So far I'm seeing only USB mentioned, but if you're not limited to that there's a whole world of great options. :)

What type of computer are you running for your DAW... Windows desktop, laptop, Mac? So far I'm seeing only USB mentioned, but if you're not limited to that there's a whole world of great options. :)

I'm using my desktop computer. I built it almost 5 years ago for gaming. Specs are still pretty decent I guess. 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1.5TB(between two drives. One 500GB as the main, and another 1TB as a backup).

I ended up getting the PreSonus 44VSL. Though i'm upset that the price changed somewhere between looking it up online and driving to my local Guitar Center... lol It was $259 on the SamAsh site, so I figured I could get them to price match. By the time I got to Guitar Center on the very same day, it was bumped back up to $299.

Still, when comparing to what I got out of the Line 6 UX1, this is a phenominal upgrade. It's probably odd to say, but i'm not used to working with such a clean recording... lol I can actually focus on mixing instead of over processing to make it tolerable.

I'd have to look when I got home, but I do have a firewire port on the motherboard, I think. I know there is one on the front of my case, but I never wired it up to the motherboard. I was looking to keep to USB so I could maybe connect to a laptop down the line and I know firewire isn't exactly commonplace on laptops these days. That's why I always build my desktops myself. My choice in hardware.

All of the other units I found from PreSonus or FocusRite, USB or Firewire only had 2 XLR inputs or cost more than I was currently willing to spend. 4 XLR was my minimum and that's what i'm stuck with for now. I'm all ears on other units that may be better. Not like I couldn't take a hit and sell this one if it comes down to it.

I'm a desktop fan myself and I tend to stick with what works rather than constant upgrading for no good reason. If you have a PCI or PCIe slot available on your motherboard I still recommend the Echo Layla audio interfaces. For one, a buss mastering PCI interface still runs circles around USB 2.0 and firewire. You can't beat it for performance and stability. But even more importantly the Echo Laylas rock! You have a choice of the original 20-bit and the Layla24/96, which came out about a year later.

I've owned them both and I can't say enough good about them. Right now I have one Layla20 and two Layla 24/96, and I won't be moving on from this setup anytime soon. So there you have it... a specific recommendation from a very happy Layla user. They are both discontinued, but IMO leaps better than a lot of the junk that's been unleashed on us in years since. You can find them on eBay, Amazon, Musicgoround.com, etc. And they're made in USA! :) See below for more product info. I'll be using the Echo Laylas for the foreseeable future. By the way, you have a nice rig there... more than adequate for fully professional audio/video.

Echo Layla 20-bit
www.pcrecording.com

Echo Layla 24/96
Echo Audio Layla 24 review

Back