AMD Thunderbird Vs. Intel

DisturbedStudio

Hi again... After too much research (my head is spinning from the last three months), I may choose to go with the "Roll Your Own" AMD 1.4 Thunderbird, KK266, Maxtor drives, rack mount case, blah blah DAW. At first I wanted your regular Intel Pentium III so my wife and I could play our games and surf the net but the more research I do, I believe I want to concentrate on the DAW aspects of building a computer...

Can anyone give me pros or cons on going with the Athlon setup over the Pentium? Can I still play Counterstrike, surf the net and write letters to Grandma as easy as I could with a "multipurpose" Intel? (I'm used to Intel, it's what I use at work)

Any compatibility issues with the Delta 66/Omni Studio and Cakewalk if I go with the Roll Your Own?

Please help me out with comments.... I'm ready to buy and I have a splitting headache from all of this !! I just don't want to make a mistake in my buying... $2000 is alot of money to record my shitty guitar playing!!

Thanks people !

At first I wanted your regular Intel Pentium III so my wife and I could play our games and surf the net

Ha ha this reminds me of the ads Intel used to push here in France a few years ago as the PIII's had just come out...They claimed the PIII would make the internet faster, as if it was the processor and not the bandwith on the 56k modem connections most homeusers had that was the bottleneck lol!!!
Don't worry, AMD's Athlon is just as multipurpose as Intel's PIII!!
This has been discussed a lot already, just do a search on Intel and AMD.

I'm in the exact same situation as yours. I was going for a PIII, then came the Roll Your Own.

My only problem now is that most multi-track software websites recommend Intel processors. But I guess these website pages were written before the recent AMD hype.

i wonder how badly a P3 1Ghz system with 512 MB 133 RAM and ASUS CUSL2-C would get it's ass kicked by the ROLL YOUR OWN system in musical applications?

Same here. I trust what I read on ProRec. They seem to know their shit. And since they recommend AMD...

However, I feel that I will never be enough of an expert to even tell the difference. So I guess it'll come down to a question of price only.

Back