Active or Passive Speakers for PC Recording?

ANTON2332

I would like to know whether I should purchase Active or Passive speakers for Home Recording purposes on my PC with my M-Audio Firewire Solo.

I am considering buying the Creative Gigaworks T20 Active speakers as they have excellent reviews and at approx £60 suit my budget. However, will they work well with the set up below:

Hardware

High-End PC running Windows XP (SP2), 2GB RAM.
M-Audio Firewire Solo.
Zoom 505II (Effects).
Guitar Port (Line 6).
Zoom 708II Bass (Effects).

PC Software

Adobe Audition 2.0
Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3

Many thanks.

Anton

I wouldn't expect great bass response from them. They look to be *maybe* good starter speakers, but I'd guess you'll want to upgrade to something better someday as your skills improve - that is if you're serious about recording.

As far as the active vs. passive thing, well I personally use passives (Tannoy Reveals) with a Hafler power amp. A benefit of actives (I guess) would be built-in amps geared towards the speaker drivers.

Thanks for your replies.

I've just received the Gigaworks T20 speakers. I'll let you know what they're like and whether they are fit for PC Recording in a few weeks time. Initially, they will of course be starter speakers for me. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy any more expensive speakers at the moment!

Regards

Anton.

Back