Wanted: Tascam 42 or 52 tape deck

musicmanbob

Good morning all,

This is a brand new experience and I am more than happy I found this website and forum while looking up information regarding the Tascam 42 and 52 tape decks. I am now looking to buy a table model (portable) Tascam 42 or 52 tape recorder in good condition. I am located in Georgia and want to use my Paypal account to make the purchase. I would love it if you would contact me if you know of someone who is looking to sell his/her tape deck. I am ready to buy NOW.

By the way, does anyone know the difference between the various 42 models? I understand there is a 42N, 42B, 42OB, etc. Also, what would be the benefit of having a 52 rather than a 42. Are there that many possitives having the Tascam 52? Thank you so much all and I am thankful being here.

bob

The difference between the 52 and 42 variations were in the style of calibration controls where older models in the 52 had only internal input and output level pots and the newer variation had both internal and external front panel knobs. And in the 42 variations, there were models with small external knobs and other models with larger hifi styled external knobs with microphone rear inputs.

Beyond that, the key differences were in the specs, with the 52 claiming an extended frequency response to 24khz at 15 ips and to 20khz @ 7.5 ips where the 42 topped out at 22khz @ 15 ips and 16khz @ 7.5 ips.

Personally, I've been more drawn to the 40 series decks primarily because they're one model year newer and because I think they look a bit sexier...dumb reason, I know. :D

Cheers! :)

Hello "Ghost Of FM" and thank you for responding to my request for information. I am excited to hear from you sir. I am very much interested in purchasing a Tascam 42 because of it's "spooling" option which my 32-2B does not have. Although the 32-2B is a lovely deck it does not pack tape well at all because of the very fast "re-wind". The information you've provided is more than helpful and I am happy to hear that you prefer the 40 series.

bob

Both the 42 and 52 series offers spooling modes and 3 motor all direct drive systems which have capstans that drive the backing side of the tape to be a bit easier on the tape. All of those would be advantage features above your 32-2B which is the older version on the 32.

But probably even more important then the minor feature differences between the 42 and 52 is the condition of the deck, as there are no new ones any more. So whichever you pick, I'd look for one which doesn't have badly worn heads and guides and which haven't been used mobily and beat up in the process. Also make sure which ever one you choose, you get to fully test it out before you hand over your money for it. There's too many scammers out there claiming ignorance about if their decks work or claim they don't have any tape to test them so be prepared to bring your own fresh tape and a clean source to record and try it out. And if they balk at that idea of a pre-purchase test, (like by saying they only want to meet up with you in some parking lot), I'd pass on those types of transactions.

Measure twice, cut once.

Cheers! :)

Good evening Affluent Hobo and I do thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Indeed, I know what you mean and you mean what I've been thinking regarding picking up a Tascam deck. The main problem will be finding a recorder located here in Georgia. If I am not able to do that I will have to trust the person selling it. I certainly would be leery of purchasing from someone on Ebay who is not willing to stand behind the sale. And you are correct when you talk about those who claim not to have the ability to test the tape deck. Again, thank you much for your concern sir.

bob:)

Back