Trying to record from 4 Track to computer

sgbc

I have a Yamaha MT 50 4 Track recorder, and I would like to dump the Analog signal out from this on to my computer, which is an IBM with a SoundBlaster Card in it... I have the 1/8 stereo jack coming from the Stereo Out on the 4 track, but I have been unable to get the computer to recognize or show the signal.... I have a feeling I have all the parts I need, there's just a few switches on this here computer that I need to flick....? Any insight would be appreictaed! Thanks.....

i mix down to my computer from my mt4X yamaha, and it works fine. i run a sound blaster 16 card, what software do you use.
i run n-tracks to record to computer, get the volume control up on your screen make sure the line in fader is up, then go to options, then go to properties, then adjust properties for recording. this should bring your levels up. i hope this fixes your problem. also run into line input not mic........

beyond_therapy

I know im gonna get flamed for saying this in the analog forum, but if your mixing down from 4track to computer, why not just record direct to the computer through the 4track?

You'll have far more flexibility, and far more tracks... Youll also eliminate the tape hiss, unless of course, you want it.

demensia.

thanks for the info guys... demensia, I have no idea how to mix tracks or record seperately on the computer.. I think I would need better software than what I currently have on my computer... actually, the tape hiss is a a pain in the butt, but I am happy to be making some inroads at all....

Thanks,Scott

Recording through a Sound Blaster is easy, once you get it connected......

1. Verify that you're getting output at line level from the 4-track. I don't know; maybe that 1/8" plug is a headphone jack.......

2. Verify your sound card is working by playing a CD or an MP3...

3. Make sure you're sending the signal to the line input on the Sound Blaster. On mine, the line in jack is blue.

4. Open the volume control on your computer by double-clicking the speaker icon in the tray (lower right of the screen). Set the "line in" fader up full; "Wave" fader about 1/3; "Volume control" about 1/2. Make sure the "Mute" box is unchecked for all 3.

At this point you should be able to hear the output from your four track directly through your computer speakers.

5. To record it, you can use the Creative WaveStudio program from the disk that came with your Sound Blaster. You shouldn't have to configure anything; just click the record button.

Feel free to email me if you still have trouble. Let me know which step you're failing at.

eggplant@speakeasy.org

Eggplant summed it up real good there, except I have a SB512PCI and could not get a signal to the Wavestation even though it though it was coming through my puter speakers so I knew it was in the sound card.
Make sure the Creative Wavestation is set for " Line in ".
Worked for me.

Back