TEAC A-3340 help

mc437

This is my first post here. Well, I got this tape deck about a month ago from ebay, and it was one of those "as is" deals, so it was very inexpensive (almost paid more for shipping than the unit). Anyhow, it got to me and everything works, but the dials crackle, the inputs are noisy, and there is a lot of tape noise. So, I am wondering what to do to get it running good. I want to make some simple recordings of my band, and I have already done some, but I know the sound has the potential to be a lot better on this thing. There is a repair tech in my town that comes highly reccomended, so I am thinking of taking it to him for a good cleaning and lubing and head demagnitizing. I am worried that he will tell me I need a lot of reairs done when I really don't. Should I be worried? If everything works but just seems like it needs a cleaning, then that shouldn't be too expensive, right? Any other TEAC A-3340 users out there that can speak to the potential for good sound from this machine? Thanks.

All on that noise as you turn the knobs is due to dirt and corrosion on the contact wiper. You can pick up come contact cleaner and give them all a squirt as you turn/slide the knobs and switches. Event eh cheap stuff from Radio Shaft works. But the stuff form craig's is better (search for contact cleaner as that I don't have the URL right here)

Hiss and noise can be from more than one source. Is it the same in all channels? Is it only when in play or always? Is it only from the headphone jack or on lineout?

You should get the deck cleaned, lubed and adjusted to the tape of your choice (Quantegy 406/7 or 457). The last 3340 that I tuned up had a minimum of tape hiss and almost no non-tape related hiss.

Can be a nice deck.

the noise is basically in all the channels in both record and playback modes. It just sounds muffled a bit. It's not absolutely terrible or anyhthing, just noticable, that's all. I have a TEAC AN-60 noise reduction unit that I'm going to start using with this deck so maybe that will help. But, I am definitely going to have it serviced and lubed/cleaned. Thanks for the help.

Most 3440 has a excellent sound, but they need some fine tuning first.
They like high bias tape, are you testing with old tape or new fresh ?
I would suggest taking to a service tech, estimate around $ 200- 300 for a complete tune-up.
Of course check the head-wear so those are in good condition, ask for estimate and post it here, sure we can help you.
A good running 3440 is a sweet machine, a keeper in my book. ;)

Well, I got the TEAC back today and boy, what a difference. I had the heads cleamed, everything lubed, the belts checked, the pinch roller reconditioned, the switches cleaned, etc. and it sounds like a million bucks. All total, it cost $106, which I can live with since I got the unit for cheap.

Back