Tascam MS16 sync issue

CollinStore

Hello,

I'm having some strange issues with a MS16 that I just purchased. The problem I'm encountering happens when I'm trying to do overdubs and punches on tracks basic tracks that were all recorded in one pass. When I go to do overdubs I monitor off of the sync head (as opposed to the repro head) as the manual suggests. However, when I do this, all of the previously recorded material seems to be out of time with itself. With one track slightly delayed from the other so that it sounds like a horrible jumbled mess and is impossible to play along with.

If I use the repro head to monitor the playback, all the material is totally in time with itself. However, if I monitor off the repro head to overdub the overdubbed material will play back delayed from the original material. Am I doinfg something wrong or is there something wrong with my machine? I am rather new to analog tape machines so I'm hoping that this is just a rookie mistake on my part.

Thanks in advance,
Collin

Collin,

I too own and use an MS-16 and on rare occasions, I experience the same or similar problems with random channels that seem out of sync with each other.

The MS-16 uses two relays per channel card and there are a mess of additional relays on the motherboard that they plug into.

If some of the relays don't kick over properly when you switch between sync and repro, you may have a few defective ones, (relays) which will need to be cleaned and/or changed.

I am in the process of changing some of my bad relays on my machine and it is a repairable problem but one not to be done by novice DYI'ers.

If you have a good service center in your area, check them out and get an estimate from them on the job.

I know it's a bummer to go through but, once you do and all 16 channels work as they should, you will fall madly in love with this machine.

It's sound quality is great and fully professional and is worth the investment in service to make it work as it should.

Good luck with yours.

Cheers! :)

Important!!!

Oh, and one last thing;

On top of each track arming button there is an input monitor button for each track.

Make sure that all of these buttons are pressed to the in position, regardless of what tracks you have armed to record on.

That may solve your problem but if not, the thing about the relays still applies here.

Let us know how it turns out!!

Cheers! :)

Thanks

This is good stuff. I will try changing all of the monitors on the tracks to the in position and see if that does it. It doesn't seem to do this all of the time, so maybe one of these issues is at fault. I also had a suggestion that maybe I was monitoring both the sync and the repro heads simultaneously on accident. I will also check that.

I do love the way this machine sounds. I can't wait to get to know it and understand its ins and outs, so to speak.

Thanks,
Collin

Back