Tascam 388 recording but fluctuating in volume on playback

andrewlyross

Hey Guys!

First post here as I am somewhat stumped and thought i'd pick one of your brains.

So my 388 has been working great as it was rebuilt by one of the best guys in LA. No problems whatsoever. Today, however, I noticed an issue that has persisted throughout the day. I recorded on two tracks, 1 and 6. I have drum machines on track 6 and syths on track 1. I record as normal and on playback there are noticeable fluctuations on the volume. It's almost like something just grabs it and lowers the volume and it wiggles back up to normal.

When I playback other recording on the same tape this appears to not happen. Only on the newly recorded song. I have cleaned the heads and didn't have the volume issues while I was actually recording.

Any idea what this could be or what I can do to troubleshoot? Could this be electrical?

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Just did some more troubleshooting. Just sent a single, stable tone into the machine. I recorded the tone right at 5 on the VU but on playback it started around 7 and on occasion did a quick dip down to 20 then slowly gets back to 7. Happening on all channels.

Last edited:
Back