Tascam 38 and Scully 80 refurb

audioholic

I'm curious to know if anyone has any recomendations on where I can go in New England to get my analog gear up to snuff. I know of PAD (Pro audio design) in fact I know a few people working over there but I'm not sure how much something like this might cost me. I'm sure the price would be different for everyone but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. Here are some of the issues I'm having. The tascam-The takeup reel wont keep up with the tape during play/record. During play/record I get some flutter. Sometimes When there's a lot of tape on the feed reel my playback is very slow and begins to speed up as more tape feeds to the takeup reel. Tape speed flucuates, sometimes slow sometimes slow then fast then slow. The fluctuation isn't horrible but at times the pitch change is noticable. Could this problem be solved with a new belt? Could the capstan motor be dead? Now the scully-Only problem with it is that it blows a fuse whenever I put it into ff or rw. Or actualy it may be when I put it in play/record. Well its been a few years since I played with it. Its one of those two problems. I believe it may be a problem with the power supply. Any ideas on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Sadly I believe its time for me to take these toys of mine to a professional. So if anyone knows of any place other than PAD I'd be open for some options.

Last edited:
Back