Tascam 38 or 58..........or other suggestions

ausrock

Guys, I need some advice please.

It looks as though I may be (financially) in a position soon to consider adding an R2R to my setup.........WoooooHooooo ( I think).

Firstly, I know of a store that has both a Tascam 38 and a 58 for sale. Can someone give me an idea of the differences between these two. Unfortunately, they are approx,. 160klms south of here in Sydney, so it isn't feasable to just pop in and have a look at them.

Also, whatever I may end up with, will have to be synched to my Fostex D160 16trk H/disc recorder. Now I know it can work off Midi timecode and stuff, and I know that it is necessary to have a dedictaed track for timecode on a R2R..........but can anyone give me more specific information on this synching process.

Regards,

ChrisO :cool:

"1983...TASCAM introduced the 30 series recorders. The TASCAM 38 was a 1/2", 8-track, 10 1/2" reel-to-reel recorder. Introductory price was under $3,000. The 38 filled a niche for the serious entry level recordist. ...

- The TASCAM 58 and 58-OB were TASCAM's first +4dB multitrack recorders and were specifically targeted at serious production professionals."

From http://www.tascam.com/company/index.php

Back