Tascam 2516 hiss

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
I just got a Tascam 2516 a couple weeks ago. I've gone to mixdown a new project, but I'm getting a lot of hiss from the board. I'm certain it's from the board, because the hiss is apparent even when I'm not running tape (or anythin else).

Does anyone know anything about this series? Was it dumpy compared to other Tascam boards? I had a Mackie 8 buss that had some other things wrong with it, but it wasn't hissy like this at all.

Thanks for all your help,
-MD

Check your gain structures and make sure one section isn't whispering and the one after it cranked to compensate. Also make sure your gain setting on your monitoring system aren't too high up and adding to the noise.

Think of gain staging in a sound set up like a set of hurdles for a runner; they have to be at a workable hight and all the same. Get what I mean?

Cheers! :)

Thanks for everyone's help. Even when everything is down all the way, it's still kinda noisy. One thing I found that helped eliminate a part of the noise was mutin the monitoring section with a switch the board has, even though all the monitoring cues were all the way down to begin with. When I have a chance I'm gonna take it back to Daddy's and have it repaired.

Thanks again,
-MD

Back