tascam 22-2 problem

tubesrawsom

This just started to happen when I play something the it starts off very fast than it slowly slows down then stops if i give a jump start with my hand it starts again. I suspect its the capstan belt, but I honestly have no idea. Can somebody help me please?

It might be an aging capstan belt or sticky shed syndrome from older tape stock or a combination of the two.

Do you have a fresh brand new reel of tape to try on the machine? If it plays the same way with fresh tape then it's likely the belt which is a commonly available part from TASCAM's parts department or a number of third party,ebay sellers.

If it is just the tape you're using, you'll need to investigate baking the tapes back to health.

Cheers! :)

I just opened her up and I found the reel problem (pardon the punn). The belt seems to slide sideways over the motor and capstan wheel and rubs up against the chasis of the machine. When I press play the belt slows then gets stuck against the chasis. Is this the result of a bad capstan belt or is it something else?

(p.s. the capstan belt looks healthy to me.)

The belt is probably just worn out,(stretched out) and is slipping.

Either that or the internals of the machine are badly out of alignment due to a possible drop or harsh bang during shipping...does the machine show outward signs of physical trauma? If not, it's probably just an old tired belt.

Cheers! :)

Back