Tape machine in warm room

johnbilben

I just recently moved all my equipment down to my garage where it is being safely stored and used on a regular basis. However, the room is not air conditioned and gets pretty warm on a daily basis. Is this in anyway bad for the tape machine?

thanks again

I just recently moved all my equipment down to my garage where it is being safely stored and used on a regular basis. However, the room is not air conditioned and gets pretty warm on a daily basis. Is this in anyway bad for the tape machine?

thanks again

It couldn't be any worse than my attic were I was working. Too much heat isn't great for anything generally but what can you do? Just try and get a breeze in there now and then. As long as it's not guitar warping heat. It never really affected any of my equipment that I know of.

A couple things to consider:

1) Temperature extremes are hard on rubber parts over time like belts, pinch roller etc.
2) Electronic devices have maximum operating temperatures, which are based on the weakest link in the chain; a motor or IC that is most sensitive to heat.

Many things inside a device generate heat – power transformers, regulators, op-amps motors, etc. If it feels hot in the room it will be much hotter than that in the machine. When certain components run hot it will shorten the service life and in the worst case result in catastrophic failure of components, depending on how hot it is.

You’ll notice many devices have minimum and maximum operating and storage temps listed in the specs. The storage temp is always higher, because once you turn it on the machine generates its own heat and you risk running components beyond their specified heat ranges.

:)

Back