SCOTCH 206 / 207 question

Dr ZEE

Anti-Pro Circles Insider
Hi Guys
this one is for tape types experts ..heh heh :D
I am going through some old rolls of tape and I have some rolls that are not on orininal reels nor have original boxes. My question is about scotch 3m 206/207 tapes.
As I know (or as I think that I know :o ) those tapes are black flat on back side (just like ampex/quantegy 406/407, 456/7 etc...) , but the magnetic side on scotch tapes is rather greyish-black and is sort of semi-gloss. I am attaching the photo I've just made. It's kind of hard to make a good shot, though.

So my question one is: am I 100% correct about the "look" of 206/207?

Question two is: were there other tapes that look exactly like or very close to Scotch 206/207? Another words, if I see tape like this, would it be safe to conclude that this is scotch 207 or 206?

THANKS!
:)

Attachments

• scotch_206_207.JPG
    scotch_206_207.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 852
206/207 is as you say... flat black backcoating and shinier charcoal gray-black on the magnetic side.

Most other backcoated tapes have a brown magnetic side. The ones I know for sure with the brown are:

Ampex/Quantegy 406/407 and 456/457
BASF 911, 468 and 469
3M Scotch 226/227
Maxell XLI 35-90B

The backcoated side in your photo looks more brown than the backcoting on my 207, but it could just be the lighting.

Other open-reel tapes like TDK and Memorex I have no idea… it’s been 20 years since I’ve used them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Tim! Thanks a bunch :)
of course it helps :D
Yeah, the brownishness is rather lightning effect, it really is dark-grey(almost black).

Do you mind if I use your brains a bit more, maybe you have some clues.

Do you know how Scotch 201/202 look. Any chance those look like 206/207?

I used to have in the past Scotch 111 NOS reels, and those were all around brown. I never actually tried recorded on those, just happened to have few.

Now another scotch "mystery" here. I have few 7" reels that are in Scotch 175 boxes. Have you seen 175? The tapes on various generic reels and the tapes actually look and "feel" like Maxell UD 35-90 ...black-metallic like, glossy out and semi-glossy inside. So I am wondering what those tapes are. These tapes actually look pretty good, I have not tried yet recording on them though.

I finally got time trying out Maxell UD tapes. Those are great, btw...perfect for vinyl "archiving" :p :D

thanX again, man

The backcoated side in your photo looks more brown than the backcoting on my 207, but it could just be the lighting.

uh, what I was talking about above??? grrrrrrrr
So the back coat is DEEP-black , again, it's just like on Q/Ampex tapes. The inside is more greyish.
Just to clear this up.

Actually after taking another close look, those "Scotch 175" (under question) tapes are clearly different from Maxell-UD. The color is almost the same, but Maxell's magnetic side is pretty much as glossy as the back side, while those "175" 's magnetic coat is semi-gloss (more on the flat side, I'd say). Both feel like same thikness.
I also have couple realistic "supertape" reels, those also look like Maxell-UD.
...:confused: :confused:

Tim! Thanks a bunch :)
of course it helps :D

You're welcome... :)

Do you know how Scotch 201/202 look. Any chance those look like 206/207?

201/202 are not backcoated, so that helps narrow things down a bit. They both have black oxide, but 201 is acetate base, while 202 is polyester. They are very old formulations... early 60's.

Now another scotch "mystery" here. I have few 7" reels that are in Scotch 175 boxes. Have you seen 175? The tapes on various generic reels and the tapes actually look and "feel" like Maxell UD 35-90 ...black-metallic like, glossy out and semi-glossy inside. So I am wondering what those tapes are. These tapes actually look pretty good, I have not tried yet recording on them though.

I’ve never used 175… a bit before my time. My favorite non-backoated 3M tapes are Highlander 229 and Dynarange 212. They are low noise, high output on par with 207, but without backcoating.

I finally got time trying out Maxell UD tapes. Those are great, btw...perfect for vinyl "archiving" :p :D

Yep, Maxell UD and UD XL are great tapes. I've got 30-year-old Maxell masters that sound as good as the day I recorded them... and no sticky-shed with Maxell. They smell nice too... a bit sweeter than Ampex.

Back