Quick Question: How to resolve cassette deck squeaking

paintedtape

Hello there. I've been using my NAD 6325 stereo cassette deck to dub lots of tapes and I think it's starting to take its toll on the ol' thing, meaning every once in a while it makes a loud squeaking sound and shuts off. Any idea how to resolve this issue? Is the tape deck toast, or at least in need of a major repair?

I've tried cleaning everything that I am capable of cleaning (erasure head, pinch rollers, etc), but I read elsewhere it might be an issue with a belt drive or sumthin... LET ME KNOW WHAT YA'LL THINK!

as always: thankyou
-Dave

Is there a particular tape make, model and vintage where this issue shows up? Sometimes it can be something as simple as the tape pack inside the cassette being to tight up against the inside of the tape shell housing. If you take those particular tapes and softly flex the cassette back and forth in a mild twisting action, you can loosed up the tape pack enough to not squeak or cause the added resistance to your deck's transport mechanism. You can also try a fast wind and rewind prior to playing or recording which will also accomplish a similar effect of loosening up the tape pack.

Cheers! :)

Back