Quality Cassettes...

kjbleus

Greetings,

Discussion about quality analogue cassettes is on my mind. High output, high performance cassette decks require high performance cassettes. Lots of good reading in past classic audio magazines, including succinct comparisons right down to record input and playback output specifications. I can offer an excellent web link to many of these review articles, at the AnalogAudio.Com site:

http://www.analogaudio.narod.ru/mag/review.htm#tapes

I have contact with the master of this website, and I can assure you that he is dedicated to getting as much good info out to the cyber public as possible.

Currently, I have a stable of Nakamichi cassette decks, and primarily use TDK and Maxell metal bias cassettes for my personal use. Top choices are TDK's MA-XG and MA-EX cassettes, and I don't mind also using Maxell MX and MX-S cassettes for more durable utilization in my mobile Nak cassette deck systems. Of significance is also the wonderful Sony metal bias cassette products, the Metal Master and signature Super Metal Master edition cassettes.

Do we have any other serious cassette deck and cassette media users on the BBS? I'm curious, and certainly willing to discuss the quality cassette topic in depth.

Best regards,

Sorry to say my whole experience with cassettes has never been one I could be comfortable associating the word quality with. Occasionally some would sound ok. But I gave up years ago trying.
Good hunting.;)

(ps I was wondering what your application was, and just saw your other post. If anything can pull it off, a Nakamichi would be the one.:) My comments above stem from the repeated frustration I've met with the media. I have heard good sound, apparent 'stable' play, but never in combination with either repeated plays and/or on sustained instruments (like piano).
Not trying to be a snob, just grew a little short on patience over the years.:rolleyes: :D
Wayne

Last edited:
:cool: The older Akai's from the 80's do a real good job. The one I use is the GX-9, 3 motor and glass heads...........

LOVE IT !!!

da MUTT

I have to agree, cassettes are really unreliable and I've recently got rid of a reasonably expensive cassette deck which I used just for quick and dirty rough mixes, rehearsal tracks, etc. If you still want to stay with tape, a stereo VCR will do a much better job and you can get them cheap. It seems a little unorthodox but you'd be surprised how well this can work!

I use a TASCAM 464 (cassette) and a 424 mkIII in my "studio". I am pretty happy with the sound I'm getting, and am still learning the techniques. Can't say when I'll reach the limit, but these guys seem to think I'm wasting my time.

mixsit said:
Sorry to say my whole experience with cassettes has never been one I could be comfortable associating the word quality with. Occasionally some would sound ok. But I gave up years ago trying.
Not trying to be a snob, just grew a little short on patience over the years.:rolleyes: :D
Wayne

Gee. Let me know when you start "trying" to be a snob. I'd be interested.

DigitalSmigital said:
I use a TASCAM 464 (cassette) and a 424 mkIII in my "studio". I am pretty happy with the sound I'm getting, and am still learning the techniques. Can't say when I'll reach the limit, but these guys seem to think I'm wasting my time.

Gee. Let me know when you start "trying" to be a snob. I'd be interested.

Gee. All I was saying as politely as possible was that I never heard solid performance from cassette, or at least not for long if it was good. It's just frustrating to me to have to work so hard then to see it degrade even further.

Hey, Wayne. I guess I'm a little defensive on the cassette issue.

The name of the site is Homerecording.com, but all the pros come in here and trash the only medium I can afford to record to.

This was a thread started by a cassette enthusiast, seeking other cassette enthusiasts, to discuss the merits of various brands, models, and types.

The whole purpose of the board, IMO, is to get the best sound/signal out of what you have.

The pros are welcome, to give advice, tutor us newbies in the ways of the studio. I have countless years as a musician; not even one year as a recordist.

Cassette is analog. This is the analog forum. The thread title is "Quality Cassettes".

Let's begin the discussion, then.

DigitalSmigital said:
...Cassette is analog. This is the analog forum. The thread title is "Quality Cassettes".

Let's begin the discussion, then.

Yes, you are right on. I should have spoken more carefully. In fact, thank you for the reality check. I deserved it.
I'm a struggling H/R'dr too. From our humble means we try to do more with less. If occasionally we get to nip at the heals of the big boys, there's all the reward I need.;)

Back