panning while bouncing on a 688

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Greetings!

This question is kinda specific, but maybe a fellow tascam 688 user can help me here...

Ok, I try to avoid bouncing as much as possible, but every once in a while I have something that simply will not fit on the 8 tracks provided. I have a copy of the manual and have read the section on bouncing many times. I have successfully bounced any number of tracks onto other tracks in the past, and I swear I used to be able to pan the tracks that are being bounced to get something of a stereo spread on the mixdown to the new track(s) onto which the material is being bounced.

But now I can't seem to get that to happen any more. Everything else seems to work just fine. I can adjust the levels and add effects if wanted, but the pan knobs have no effect. The manual simply asks that you establish a few settings and then pan to taste, but this alone does not work. btw - panning works fine in normal (non-bouncing) mixdown scenarios. Also, I am using the factory preset scene 9 as recommended in the manual.

Any trick to this that any of you have discovered? Thanks in advance :).

hey man,
i have two 688's and I can do almost evrything with them but one thing and this seems to be your problem too. What I do, don't know if it helps, I burn any given mix to my cd burner (stand alone), and put the two tracks back on track one and two (panned L-R) on a new tape. It's a little more work maybe, but the quality is much much better than bouncing and you have full control panwise.

ps. you have to get a cd burner for this but those are dirt cheap nowadays. I use a philips and it's great.

Thank you Mr. Darko. I was hoping you'd chime in, but didn't want to call you out and make you feel obligated to respond. I have admired your studio for some time.

Ok, so you have this problem too. I don't feel so bad. I have tried your technique in the past with my old 4-track fostex (I have a sony stand-alone cd burner) and it worked pretty well. I had forgotten about that.

The 688 doesn't have RCA inputs though - just xlr and 1/4", so I guess I'd need cables that would go from 2 RCA (to the cd burner) to two 1/4" plugs (to the 688). Is that what you did? The lack of RCA inputs has kept me from importing any external pre-recorded source (like a cd) in the past.

Do you synch your 2 machines, or just have one for backup?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the head up heatmiser, always willing to help btw.

Yep, rca to jacks does the trick pretty well (pretty cheap too, but get a good quality cable!!). Be carefull not to go above 0db on your cd burner, but keep the volume up as much as possible.;)

I use my second 688 as a backup and for live fieldrecording mixing with my band (project). It's also cool because I can mix at home now, while tracking at the studio.:cool:

Back