Interested in putting together an analog recording system...

DonMan

Just wondering if someone can tell what kind of investment I'd have to make and what are some specific pieces of gear I might want to look into. I know I'll need to pick up a decent reel to reel and a mixer(my requirements will probably be 16 channels-I don't know that I would need more than 16 tracks at the moment though and be able to record up to 8 tracks at once).

Any input would be appreciated.

I've been recording digitally on a VS880 and before that an older Mac. For some reason I think I'd be happier with the results and the whole process if I was going Analog.

As always, it depends on what you want and what your purpose is... But I've always been recording analog, and will continue to do that for a while, but I'm pretty sure that will change in a year or two, for budget reasons.

Well, digital is getting cheaper fast now, so it seems that analog will not be a budget alternative for long. Therefore I think you need to aim for a pre or semi-pro system.

That means one of the lower end 16-channles or maybe an Otari multitrack. Not that my Fostex A-8 in any way sounds bad, but it doesn't sound better than digital either... :-)

You also need a good mixer. I don't have any experience with mixers of different brands, but the consensus here means that you need at least a Mackie 24*8 or preferrably a Soundcraft Ghost...

So the problem is you end up coughing up maybe $6000 if you want to get quality that gets beyond that of for example an AW2816, which seems like it will retail for $2000.

So, most likely, my earlier plan of first getting a 24-track mixer, and then a year later get a 16-track recorder, has now been replaced by saving up $2000 for an Yamaha AW2816, which is $500 less than what a Mackie 24*8 retails for. :(

Back