inexpensive calibration tape

tommytulip

Hi everyone... I just picked up a Teac 80-8 on Ebay, my first machine. It looks like it's in good shape - I spent a couple hours with it getting all the
parts cleaned up. Now i figure it's time to calibrate it since the previous owner
said that it sat unused for several years. So, I'm looking for a 1/2" 8-track
calibration tape, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any place to get
these things for cheaper than $180 or so as seen on MRL and dealer
websites...

thanks a lot!

tom

Dear Tom,
if the machine was not used, it is still calibrated. It is head wear and a de-adjusted tape path which change electrical parameters.

The worst problem often is a worn tape path. Some servicing might be necessary. Unless the tape runs evenly and smoothly, without producing much shed, exactly on the tracks of the heads as it is supposed to do by the norm, and in exact azimuth, unless it does so, electrical calibration does not make any sense.

Input sine waves with -6dB on the meter! If playback response differs by more than 2dB within 70 to 12000 KHz, you should fix it. A typical bias setting for iron oxide tape is "-2dB at 10000 Hz": Raise bias level to the point of maximum playback level and then raise it still further until playback level is -2dB below maximum.

Playback equalization does not change much unless heads are severely worn. If heads are worn, and it seems that noone has yet recalibrated the machine, you can raise trebles by a few dB in the playback amp.

Any person who owns a rather new machine could record sines and send the tape to you. My machine has few head wear, but on channels 6 and 7 there are some irregularities.

Back