how rare is this????

mndog75

I recently had a grandfather pass away and aquired his beautiful walnut cabnit stereo(magnavox) probobly from the early fifties. it came with a reel to reel in great shape with all the manuals and even the receipt, my question is this, what do I have?? it only has two channels but I think I can record four tracks on it, how rare is it(it also came with two microphones) will it produce a good recording???? I have serial numbers if they will help answer my question model number 1k0884 serial 2425774 or model number 1rp663 serial 6844778 it also has the following features, 2 supplied reel spindles,counter, 2 level meters, 2 record level controls, 2 channel record buttons mode switch,sound on sound switch,2 microphone jacks 5 speed function switch, it also has the following speeds (7 1/2 3 3/4 1 7/8) I just found out it needs alittle bit of work but all parts are there, how hard will it be for someone to fix if it needs to be???

Last edited:
Thta's impossible to say when you don't know what it wrong.

Most likely the sound will not be fantastic. The 50's are the pretty much the period when manufacturers learn how to make tape sound good, from what I have been told. However, if it is in god shape, it should be a collectors item.

And post pictures!

My grandad had a cabinet stereo too. Huge thing. :)

Back