How to convert tape speeds.

heath

I'm new to the world of recording.

I'm trying to record solo jazz guitar on my Tascam 414 MKII, there's one problem. What do you do with the tape when your finished recording. The Tascam records at 2x speed and normal cassette players don't play at that speed. Do I have to purchase additional equipment to make the conversion or am I missing something.

One other question on the back of the Tascam there are two XLR inputs L & R, the manuel says that it's for balanced signals. When I use my Shure SM57 I get a barely audible play back thru the recorder using my headphones. Do I have to get a low to high imp for pluging the mic in the front of the recorder in order to get more signal.

I'm feeling kind of lost at this point.

Thanks.

Dude, you need to spend some time in the newbie forum. Not to be mean but this is really a basic recording question.
The manual should have a section about making a master tape.

...not a tape speed issue at all...

You need to record the stereo output of the multitrack in a mix to a seperate device like a cassette machine or computer for CD burning. The 4 track format won't play on a stereo (two track) player. To do this you will be hooking the stereo outputs of the 414 to the line inputs of a "master recorder".

If you are plugging a mic intop the XLR in and getting a weak signal try adjusting the mic trim knob.

Back