Getting "back" into home recording with a Teac 3440s

NorCalAudio

Hello, New member here... Have been reading and lurking for a while. Long story short, I picked up a Teac 3440s last week in anticipation of getting back into home recording. It has been 15 - 20 years since I last owned a reel to reel.

So far I have the Teac 3440s in good shape, It had been gone through and given a clean bill of health a year ago. It seems to run well. I also bought the service, user and parts manuals. I have it wired into my system at the moment splitting the 1-2 to the right channel and 3-4 to left channel for both in and out. I have decent analog gear to record from, Nottingham TT, Whest Phono-pre, AudioNote Linestage and Ketch 300B monoblocks. Currently I don't plan on recording live music.

I would like to understand more about the DBX options such as RX-9 and DX-4D. I have recorded several tracks and noticed a noisy hiss I remember from the tape days as DBX NR hiss.

How would I best wire this into my system and what options such as RX-9, DX-4D for Noise Reduction should I look into. I also see that BottleHead has a Tape Head preamp and a repro amp. Has anyone used any of these. I have a roll around cart that the 3440 will be mounted in and I would like to get any other related components in the rack.

Any other pointers or recomnmendations relative to the 3440 or DBX is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Back