fostex r8 tape

antispatula

So I know that 457 is supposed to be used, but someone just told me that 456 sounds better, and that with 457, the sound isn't as good, etc etc. I know that 456 will wear down my machine faster, but I wanted a second opinion before making any decisions on what to get. Thanks!

457 and 456 don’t differ much except for print through. I would recommend the factory specified tape, if only because I think it’s especially important to baby these older machines.

Secondly, the R8 and others like it are designed for thinner tape to get the best performance. Tape/head contact is optimized with 1-mil tape. In most cases 1.5-mil tape is less pliable so does not fit to the heads to get the best result.

456 being heavier and stiffer is more difficult for the transport to pull through, which means more wear and tear.

If you don’t use the machine all that much and only use 456 occasionally it’s probably no big deal. But technically speaking you will still take a performance hit with the thicker tape. Depending on the type of music you’re recording it may not be obvious to the ear, and you may even like it better... who Knows?

Back