fostex model 80

firingbullets

i just bought a model 80 cheap. it has no reels and the tape holders spin continuosly whenever turned on. buttons seem to work but have no effect on the spinning, anyone have any ideas what this problem could be?

thanks

To clarify;

Have you tried to play, record or wind an actual tape on the deck yet?

Why I ask is because many open reel transports appear to act in strange ways with no tape loaded.

If there is an actual problem, that might help explain why you got it for a "cheap" price...possibly the previous owner also had issues with the unit and decided to dump it on the next contestant...you.

Cheers! :)

first up thanks for the reply ghost of fm.

no i havnt loaded tape yet, i was a little suspicious when i turned it on and it had the issue i described and being a cheap guy i didnt want to shell out for some reels !

but i will try that first.

what you said is what i wanted to hear, that it may resolve when i get tape on, oor maybe it wont !
cheers

The reels may spin in opposite directions for a few seconds after power up, or if you’re holding the right tension arm up… or if it is jammed in up position, or the switch is bad and it thinks it is up.

When there is tape on the machine the reels have slight tension in opposite directions to keep the tape taut. If there is no tape on the machine the reels should not spin continuously.

~Τιμόθεος
:)

Back