Digital To Analog

Mark7

Okay. How many of you reading this forum have migrated from Digital to Analog (or gone to Digital from Analog and then come back again), and what were your reasons for doing so? What do you miss about Digital, and what would you not wish on your worst enemy?

Can I take it, from the dearth of responses, that this is the wrong forum to ask this question in then? :confused:

You haven't even given people 24hs to answer...

I TRIED computer recording, and I hated it. So I never did any migration, I just dropped my digital projects in the trashcan and bought an 8-track.

I don't think I would migrate any projects. I would finish them in the digital realm and then make new projects on analog, instead of migrating. The migrating seems just too much work.

When it comes to migrating the studio, that totally depends on what you have from the start, I guess. For example, migrating from a digital 8-track to an analog 8-track would be trivial, but migrating a studio from computer recording to all analog stuff is a whole different matter.

So once again, the question is wrong. Pushing "Analog vs Digital" as an important paradigm difference is just counterptoductive.

:cool: I started analogue, then went to digital, I still operate in both with tremendous success.........
Depends on what the cliental wants.......

da MUTT

I started with cassette four track and moved to computer recording. After a few years of fun I decided to move up to 16 track tape. My reason was hearing a friend's 8 track 1/2" machine blow all my 24 bit recordings out of the water. I will still use both but digital is more of a writing tool than a serious production medium for me now.

I started with analog and stayed with it over the past 25 years.

When digital was starting to take hold, I was reading a lot of horror stories about ADAT's and MDM's that loved to eat tapes and the nightmares of when the transports jammed up and you had to disassemble the machine to get the tape out. I thought........hmmmm....Do I want these nightmares or should I wait until they prefect it a little more. By that time, I had my TASCAM 38 and loved the sound and reliability and when it came time to move up to the 16 track I have now that I bought in 1997, digital was still farting around with 10 different formats and no end in sight to when things would settle down to one or two ways of doing things.

To this day, digital is still an evolving technology and what is all the rage today, is considered scrap the next so, I will stick with my antique analog equipment that works reliably and offers me fully professional sound quality.

Cheers! :)

Back