Dead Left channel on RS-1700

Bguzaldo

I just got a Technics RS-1700 from a friend of mine and it's beautiful, but when I record something and flip the monitor from "source" to "tape" the left channel dies out. Not totally Its just at an Incredibly low volume. It was recorded at the right level and both view meters stayed between -5 and 0. Initially the left channel didn't work in "source" mode either but after wiggling around the switch I got it to work. The same technique didn't work for "tape". The Left monitor switch is slightly bent inward towards the right monitor switch. I tried recording with every combination of Bias and EQ and got the same results every time. The Right channel is at full volume and the left channel is extremely quiet. Would anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Is it most likely an internal problem? It could very well be me seeing as this is my first reel to reel experience.

Any advice is appreciated! :confused:

Thanks
-Barrett

I just got a Technics RS-1700 from a friend of mine and it's beautiful, but when I record something and flip the monitor from "source" to "tape" the left channel dies out. Not totally Its just at an Incredibly low volume. It was recorded at the right level and both view meters stayed between -5 and 0. Initially the left channel didn't work in "source" mode either but after wiggling around the switch I got it to work. The same technique didn't work for "tape". The Left monitor switch is slightly bent inward towards the right monitor switch. I tried recording with every combination of Bias and EQ and got the same results every time. The Right channel is at full volume and the left channel is extremely quiet. Would anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Is it most likely an internal problem? It could very well be me seeing as this is my first reel to reel experience.
Thanks
-Barrett

i'm no expert-they'll be here eventually. but my 1st thought is to clean said switches with deoxit.
you might have to open it up to do this.

also if you just got it, did you clean heads and tape path (i use 91% isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip) before running it?
this is a 'must do'!!
and you'll need to get a wand type degausser to demagnetize the heads. probably sooner rather than later.

as many tapes are getting very old, i find it necessary to clean heads and path after every tape play/pass to maintain fidelity.

When you have it open, check the bent switch. I had one that had taken a "hit" from the front and it just seemed kind of loose. When I opened up the cabinet to do the de-ox, I found the guts of the switch hanging by the wires. The little prongs that held it together had bent out and the switch failed. The contacts on your switch may be not fully or consistently making contact.

Back