The "analog" sound

GamezBond

I read on an electronic music forum that, within their software sequencer they dont render .wav files for mixing, but they send the signal out of the soundcard through an analog console, into the protools HD system (which have good A/D converters).This is because it makes the sound warm, and within analog it can be louder, and when it clips it sounds good.

Can someone explain why and how this works?When you recorded it into the computer aren't you entering digital domain, so your stuff is gonna clip either way :confused:

I was told I will need to bring my keyboard/laptop into the studio to complete a song with them with the sequence file.Would bringing in the wavs on my HD, and playing them loudly through the analog console be the same as recording it initially in the sequencer?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just not trying to look stupid in front of these people :(

I'm not sure on this, but I think they may be taking you for a run. Wait until one of the more experienced board members reads this.

-MD

No one is taking you for a run. In my not so humble opinion this is VERY true and this is exactly they way I operate. I would rather mix in the computer for it's repeatability but it NEVER sounds as good as the mixes I do through the console.

GamezBond said:
Can someone explain why and how this works?When you recorded it into the computer aren't you entering digital domain, so your stuff is gonna clip either way :confused:
In analog, too strong of a signal is OK, to a point; you have some leeway between "saturation" and "distortion". Digital clipping is immediate and harsh. If your .wav remains below 0 dB (i.e. put a limiter on the main mix) when you transfer out to the console it should not have any distortion.

If I understand what I have read.

Back