Advice on maintenance items to purchase

Bloodbone

I'm going to need to get a few things for when I start using my 8-track Otari.
Are there any specific cleaning agents,deguasser,demagnetizer,etc.,that I should get?
How about the stuff available at US Recording Media-any suggestions?
Any help appreciated.

Cleaning Fluids
Denatured alcohol (available at hardware and home improvement stores) or >90% Isopropyl (available at drug stores) for cleaning heads and metal Parts of tape path.

Caig rubber cleaner (CaiKleen RBR) for pinch roller.
http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT113328/sc.2/category.179/.f

Cotton-tip sticks (long wooden kind): Available at Radio Shack, Electronix, etc.
You can use Q-tips, but the paper or plastic sticks are too flexible for heavy scrubbing if necessary.

Head Demagnetizer
Han-D-Mag or TEAC E-3

US Recording Media sells the Han-D-Mag. E-3 harder to find new, but fairly common eBay item.

Happy maintaining :)

Bloodbone said:
I'm going to need to get a few things for when I start using my 8-track Otari.
Are there any specific cleaning agents,deguasser,demagnetizer,etc.,that I should get?
How about the stuff available at US Recording Media-any suggestions?
Any help appreciated.

An Alignment tape from MRL and a manual. I think that a manual is the most important tool and you should get one while you still can.

A good multimeter with V RMS reading capabilities.

A tone generator if you run accross one that can do 10Hz, 1K, 10K.

A spring gauge (1Kgm) will do for tape tension adjustments.

These tools will allow you to maintain any tape machine and are great investments along with learning and studying analog tape machines.

Tape and transport aligning are not "do it once and forget it" jobs. Tape tension adjustments, for instance, go a long way towards reducing head wear. Aligning with a test tape allows you to use other formulations of tape should you need to or like to experiment with lower noise/higher output tape.

You can easily find this stuff used for minimum $$$ and will not have to rely on repair people to keep your deck alive.

Back