MIDI synth to help test my MIDI controller

edwallace

I'm looking for a basic MIDI synth app for Windows that will allow me to test my Samson Graphite MIDI controller. Something like what GarageBand does on the Mac/iOS devices, it takes live input data from a MIDI controller and then synthesizes some beautiful tones like piano and strings.

I'm having a lot of latency issues with my current Cubase setup so I was looking for a quick utility that would be high-speed. And not just a text dump like MIDI OX, I want to actually hear the notes and see if it sounds on-time. I don't have a Mac.

I looked through dozens of MIDI utility guides but I can't find anything that does the job. MIDI synths typically just replace the awful windows synth, and don't accept live input. What can I use?

Cool, I'll give that a go and let you know. BTW which DAW do you recommend for extensive MIDI editing, have tried Cubase and SONAR so far. Are there any others I should know about?

I've only used Sonar with midi (and use Sonar exclusively now). Haven't even tried a different DAW in probably 10 years. Sonar's perfect for my needs. I know others think certain DAWs handle midi better, but I don't know specifically how. I've not run into any limitations.

Reaper is supposed to be really good for what it is (free/cheap if you buy). I haven't used Reaper in a very long time, probably not since it was first released.

I'm not sure if REAPER comes with virtual instruments-- I was under the impression that it takes a more "roll your own" approach?

PreSonus Studio One has a free edition called Studio One Prime, which has pretty good MIDI editing as well as a built-in MIDI synth. But there are several other free or inexpensive DAWs to choose from.

As for latency, if you're on Windows and don't have a sound card with an ASIO driver, you might want to try ASIO4ALL-- it isn't "real" ASIO, but it does help to greatly reduce latency when "real" ASIO isn't available.

Reaper has ReaSynth, and that's about it. However, if the OP is just seeking to test a keyboard, then it's as good as anything else as a tester.

The latency is not due to Cubase, but due to your soundcard or interface. If you're using your stock soundcard in your computer, you will experience some latency. It can be frustrating. ASIO4ALL works sometimes, but not for everything. Give it a try and if it doesn't help, you'll need an audio interface.

Reaper is supposed to be really good for what it is (free/cheap if you buy).
Reaper is good at like 10 x the price, and just fucking awesome at $60!

It doesn't have much for built in instruments, though. ReaSynth will tell you whether MIDI is working, but so would any freeware VSTi.

The latency is not due to Cubase, but due to your soundcard or interface. If you're using your stock soundcard in your computer, you will experience some latency. It can be frustrating. ASIO4ALL works sometimes, but not for everything. Give it a try and if it doesn't help, you'll need an audio interface.

Can you recommend any low cost USB audio interface with ASIO that I can buy?

Currently in the $100 range I've found:

•M-Audio Fast Track
•E-MU 0202
•PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2
•Edirol UA-1EX
•Behringer UCA202

Can you recommend any low-cost low-latency USB audio interface? Even pros and cons of the above are appreciated, as I'm not sure if any of the above ones are fast enough/ASIO compatible.

Last edited:
Can you recommend any low cost USB audio interface with ASIO that I can buy?

I started this new post for it. Please reply there.

I'll just reply here. Please keep it all in one thread. No need to start a new one.

Currently in the $100 range I've found:

•M-Audio Fast Track
•E-MU 0202
•PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2
•Edirol UA-1EX
•Behringer UCA202

Can you recommend any low-cost low-latency USB audio interface? Even pros and cons of the above are appreciated, as I'm not sure if any of the above ones are fast enough/ASIO compatible.

I recommend to stay away from most anything Behringer, including the UCA202. Out of that list, the M-Audio or the Presonus are the most popular, at least in this forum. All of them (except the Behringer)are in the same league and probably use the same circuitry and design. So, you choose which one is the best fit for you based on price and functionality.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry about the thread. I thought I'm supposed to "ask the right question in the right place".

What about these? Are they any good for MIDI monitoring with low latency?

- Focusrite Scarlett Solo
- M-AUDIO M-TRACK
- M-Audio (Avid) Fast Track Ultra USB (Getting this for $15 on ebay)

As of now I'm getting the Presonus 2x2 for about $50 on ebay and the M-Audio Fast Track for about the same. I'm quite happy choosing either of those two.

Last edited:
I've personally owned/used the presonus and focusrite. Both are very capable for your needs, all things being equal just get the cheapest option.

[I currently use the 2 input Focusrite Scarlett and it has slightly less latency than the Presonus, if that helps]

Thank you soooo much Pinky! You have moved my decision in favor of the focusrite. It looked so gaudy I thought it was a "cheap product" compared to presonus or m-audio. And its low cost too. Thanks again! You guys have no idea how invaluable expert advice is, to someone new in the topic! Kudos and good day!

Back